1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printrbot+ vs Robo 3D

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lucas, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Lucas

Lucas New Member

What's better in terms of:

Experimentation - I want to be able to tinker with my machine; i.e add an LCD or change the hot end
    Surface Finish - bare surface finish
    Tech Support - How bad is it if it breaks?
    Reliability - Can I depend on this?
    Dual Extruders - In the future?\
    Build Volume Expansion - On either?
    Different Plastics - Laywood, PC, Taulman Nylon
    Other features - I heard Robo is getting Lights in their new Robo

Anybody have experience with both?

What are your thoughts?

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hi Lucas,
    Those are some good questions.

Experimentation - I want to be able to tinker with my machine; i.e add an LCD or change the hot end
    I'm glad you want to experiment. At this price point, both machines are probably going to require some tinkering to get reliable great prints. printrbot is committed to being open source and makes all of their plans available. They have a pretty dedicated community of modders and openly support that community. Robo is highly moddable, but not quite as supportive. I believe they prefer their machine be used as close to stock as possible. They have made some parts available online.

Surface Finish - bare surface finish
    Not sure what this mean?

Tech Support - How bad is it if it breaks?
    I haven't dealt with this for either company so can't comment.

Reliability - Can I depend on this?
    You're going to have to tinker with either machine quite frequently to keep it in good working order. I think that's just the way it is at this price point.

Dual Extruders - In the future?\
    A few of us are working on offering an upgrade kit, but I don't know if the robo team is developing one. I know printrbot is working on one. FYI, dual is not for the weak. Most people I know with dual have played with it for a little and then taken off the second nozzle because it is an annoyance.

Build Volume Expansion - On either?
    no build volume expansion on robo. It's already pretty big! Printrbot has released build volume kits.

Different Plastics - Laywood, PC, Taulman Nylon
    Both machines have a similar stock hot end. This is primarily what limits your plastic use.
    I'm not sure why people think laywood (and I suggest you check out colorfabb woodfill for a wood filament :) ) needs anything special. It can be printed on any PLA machine.
    PC and Taulman 618 and 645 require a hot end upgrade.
    T-Glase, colorfabb xt, and other PET based materials can be printed on either machine without a hot end upgrade.

3. Lucas

Lucas New Member

Thanks printedsolid, this is a big help. By surface finish I mean -
    Stringing - is it bad?
    Overall smoothness - does it feel nice?
    Afterwards cleanup - How much would I have to touch up parts?

Thank Again,
    Lucas

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Most of that depends on what you are printing and what your expectations are.

I think that either printer can be dialed in to print at great quality at high resolutions with some tweaking.

5. Lucas

Lucas New Member

Would you say they're about equal?

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I would say they're comparable. You'd really need to find someone who has both to get a full opinion on which is better.

7. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

What I would suggest is to check out printerbot's forum as well and compare issues and resolutions. That should give you a synopsis of what you're gonna deal with.

If you notice Robo has had some issue with new users who need to learn to setup the printer and their software. Once accomplished properly, the Robo works fine. Compare that to the printerbot's forum and see if their users have had success or failure when trying different options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk