1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problems with first layer stick on the glass

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Christian, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian

Christian New Member

Hi all,

yesterday is got my robo3d. gradt. but now i have the problem that the ABS plastic doesnt stick on the glas bed. so i have an big plastic ball on the extruder, thats all.

I have the blue ABS plastic, wich was includet in the box. I use 210 Celsius for the extruder and 100 for the bed.

does anone have experiance with other temperatures? maybe more temperature?

thanks for help

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That is too cold for ABS. maybe 230 first layer and 220 additional layers.

What is the gap between your nozzle and bed when you're at Z home in the center of the bed? It should be very small and the same at all 4 corners of the bed and in the center. If you have shim stock, .05 mm works great for setting the gap. If not, a business card can work

How fast are you printing the first layer? You want to go slow, maybe 30mm/s or less.

The fan should be off for your first layer. Fan tends to really mess up ABS first layer adhesion. Not really needed at all for ABS.

What is the thickness for the first layer? until you get things dialed in nicely, you want a meaty first layer. maybe 300 microns.

Did you clean the bed prior to printing?

You may want to treat the bed with something to improve adhesion. Hairspray (seriously) works. Just take some care not to get it all over the mechanical parts. Aquanet Superhold is what I've used. There are a few 'magic ingredients' to look for, but can't remember what they are.

The other option is 'ABS juice' a few scrap pieces of ABS dissolved in ABS and then spread in a very thin layer over the glass.

Take some time to browse around in the troubleshooting sections. First layer not sticking is one of the first challenges you have to overcome and there are a lot of posts with discussion about that and the other issues you'll start to come across as you print.

3. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

ABS dissolved in acetone would make your "ABS juice".

Just a typo by Printed Solid.

2 people like this.
  4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

thanks David.

5. Christian

Christian New Member

Hi,

thanks for help. now i turned the speed to
    print settings

Perimeters 10
    Small perimeters 10
    infill 60
    solid fill 60
    gap fill 20
    first layer speed 30%

filament settings
    filament:235 deg celsius
    bed 100 deg celsius
    fan off

printer settings
    speed 10

but when i start printing the first two centimeter of moofing the filament get extruded very slow and than nothing. no filament qould be extruded. the space between the nozzle is quite small.

maybe you have an parameter list for the repetier software or an config file with the optimal conditions. for the first try i use the parameters from the getting started guide.

i also found out that the max of the extruder are 240 deg celsius. i read in the internet that the abs plastic an be used from 210 to 270 deg celsius. maybe its not enoughth?

thanks for help!

6. Christian

Christian New Member

i all,
    so now i made it. yesterday the abs fillament stick on the glass, the problem is that the left front croner is lower to the extruder than the middle of the plate. when i reconfigured the distance in the middle position it worked well. so the whole printer bad is a litte bit slant. i hope i can fx this by inserting a peace of paper on one site!

br

thx for help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.