1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

random extrusion fail

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by anoble66, Apr 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

Absolutely. I'm going to install it when I get home from work, import my settings and try printing those feet again.

2. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

the experimental version is not stable at all. If it behaves as advertised, I think it'll be the cure for my issue. Just have to wait for a better release. [Insert expletive here]

3. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

Would it be worth trying Cura?

4. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

I think I'm going to have to give that a shot. I'll post back...

5. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

So here's what I've learned... Cura has its high points. I doesn't shake the machine to death during thin wall infill. I did learn not to go below 25% infill with Cura. During printing, it did reveal something else I should have already suspected. Retraction acceleration was too high. Earlier in my attempts to fix the issue, I added this to my Start G-code: M201 X500 Y500 ; This cut way down on my x&y violent movements. I wasn't sure I could assign a value like this to 'E' so I didn't try. Browsing the configuration.h firmware file, I found #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION. It was at 3000. I changed it to 500. In Cura, I have my retraction speed at 4mm/s and my distance at 1mm. At least for PLA/PHA, it's printing really well. No more violence and not a ridiculous amount of time added to the print. I don't believe clamping the idler down tighter on the filament regardless of what type of filament you're using will help at all. If it doesn't want to move as fast as the hobbed bolt wants it to, it's going to strip.

In summary, slow down the acceleration and stop the violence.

6. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

3 people like this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Did make these acceleration changes to the March firmware? I think DEFAULT_ACCELERATION and DEFAULT_XYJERK changed in it. These changes seemed to help a lot to me. Also someone noted that the experimental Slic3R rev 1.1.0 has a "New algorithm for linear gap fill: no more shaking and adaptive extrusion width!"
    I have not tried it yet though.

8. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

I mentioned the new Slic3r features. I couldn't get it to run though. Kept crashing. I did install the March firmware too and then edited those few values to what's noted above.

9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Sorry I read right over your mention of Sli3r 1.1.0. Sounds like it's not ready for prime time.

10. splk3

splk3 New Member

Looks like my issue was filament-related. Ordered some PLA/PHA ColorFabb from PrintedSolid and been printing all week with no issues. Tried 4 colors using 210/205 temps and working like a charm. I may go back and try to get the Robo filament to work at some point since I have a whole spool, but I may wait until I swap in my hexagon hotend to see if that helps at all.

11. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

Glad to hear you got it resolved splk3. I fitted the E3d and new grooved hobbed bolt and it's not skipped a beat since. My temps are now totally stable as well with the new thermistor / furnace cement combo.

12. Peter

Peter Member

There's so many variables in these things that getting 'better' filament to 'work' doesn't mean there's nothing wrong, or that you've had a win. I'm persevering with $20 a spool stuff i got from china in bulk, and i'm getting there thankfully.

By the time i get a perfect print with the el-cheapo stuff, who know what some pricey stuff will do.

Knowing my luck, probably turn into a bowl of spaghetti that wont stick. Lol.

13. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Are you sure your bolt doesn't get loose ? Mine was getting loose so i removed the spring and replaced it with rubber tube. Works great. Rubber allows it to flex as well as not slipping against plastic surface, thus keeping it tight all the time no matter how hard you shake it.
    New Bitmap Image.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.