1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Repetier not reporting temp

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kevin Bruckert, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Bruckert

I'm able to do just about everything but get a temperature graph or an update on the extruder or heated bed temp. It just remains at 0c. Strangely, it seems to know when it's hot enough to extrude, as it stops yelling at me about cold extrusion. Thoughts? Help?

2. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

I think you will find that a thermistor reporting 0c means an open circuit on the thermistor.

What I don't quite understand is that the printer seems to be able to respond to the true temperature.

3. Kevin Bruckert

I double-checked the wired connections to the controller and now it's working correctly. It was a prebuilt unit, so I didn't think about lose wires much.

4. David Mortlock

Excellent news Kevin. Enjoy your printer.

5. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Shipping is hard on stuff like these printers... I worked at UPS as a loader for 2 years when I was young, and lemme tell you, you'd be astonished anything arrives undamaged by the way some of those packages are treated!!! ;)

6. Deadly Z Driver

I received my printer today successfully installed and got to the point where I was ready to test print. My extruder said it was up to temp but it was cold to the touch. I bumped up the temp setting and it came on then shut off at the 210 degree setting I put in. Still cold to the touch when I unplug the temp sensor it goes down to zero when I plug it back in it goes to 290c repetier locks everything out on an error message I was on my Windows 8 pc and decided to try my Windows 7 pc and got the same result. The extruder did get hot enough to extrude at the beginning when I fed the filament into the extruder. I then switched the wire from the extruder temp sensor to where the heat bed sensor goes and heat bed went to 290c so looks like I got a bad extruder temp sensor.

7. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

If the sensor is bad my guess is you would either get minimum of maximum values (0c or 357c) not something in the middle. When it shows it's heating, does it slowly climb up or does it jump from one value of 0 to the target temp? Is it able to from a "cold" start show the ambient temp correctly?

8. Deadly Z Driver

It always shows 290 unless I unplug the sensor. It won't heat it's says it is at max temp.

9. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Gotcha. Yeah that's a dead thermistor. Email Jerry. robo3dhelp@gmail.com He'll get ya' fixed up. In the meanwhile, if yer really anxious, you just need to get your hands on a 100k thermistor which you'd likely want to have a spare of anyway as well as possibly the heating element.

http://reprap.org/wiki/J_Head_Nozzle#Thermistors

I typically order from Mouser or Digikey, and a quick search on Digi turned up this:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Plenty to pick from and you'd likely get your part from them faster than you'd get your replacement from Robo. Do that too, so you'll have your spare. They are a consumable and something you want on hand as, as you can see... when ones dead, that takes out the whole printer. BTDT.

10. Deadly Z Driver

Thanks man that's the info I was looking for!

11. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

The thermistor photo on the reprap wiki shows you what you're looking for... it's TINY... just a little thing embedded in glass with wires sticking out of it. Shipping will cost ya' more than the part. :) Buy 4, so you've got some spares and some to loose. :)

12. Deadly Z Driver

After looking at those thermistors it says the highest operating temp one only went to 200c?

And out of stock... :(

13. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

14. Deadly Z Driver

Thanks again!

15. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Yupyup. Note: I'm not 100% sure those will work. I'd say it's in the 98% realms. Examine the RepRap wiki, and read some. I honestly did a cursory search and applied what I knew from when -my- thermistor died. I had to make the call on buy and get replacement vs wait on support. I opted to wait, cause I thought "It'll only take a few days." Unfortunately, my whole hotend ate itself when my thermistor died... so even having just replaced it wouldn't have gotten my back up and running so I didn't research THAT much. Still, it's a basic 100k thermistor. It's gotta fit in that TINY hole in the side of the J Head hotend. Can't be ALL that hard to find a replacement between Digikey and Mouser. Both ship fast and are very reasonably priced.

...and like I said, might wanna consider getting a spare heater element while your at it, and check into what the thermistor is on the heated bed too. Shipping for all of it would be the same I'm guessing, and you'll have the spares you need for future "just in case".

16. Deadly Z Driver

Do you happen to know what the yellow tape is called? I'll definitely look and see what else I might go ahead and get!

17. David Mortlock

Kapton tape.

2 people like this.
  18. Deadly Z Driver

went ahead and ordered two of each of those. Thanks for the help!

19. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

You betcha Hoss. :) Were all in this together... just wait until you start printing and hollering explicitives because:
    Part doesn't stick to the base
    All you can make are blobs of plastic
    You have thrown your Z nuts, again, and again, and again and blown your Z axis setup you spent the last 45 minutes trying to get just right
    Your printhead clogs because you had your Z height too close to the base
    et cetera
    et cetera

We've all been there. This too shall pass. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.