1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Replacement / Repair parts list?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Narnian, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narnian

Narnian New Member

I paused my printer while making a PLA part so the family could go to the store. I forgot that the heater was still on and now it's hopelessly jammed.

I'm hoping that I can take it apart tomorrow and get it clean, but it was burning that PLA for almost two hours. Before I take it apart to clean it, I'm wondering what replacement parts I might need to track down. Will I need Kapton Tape? If I ruined the hot end, what's the fastest way to get a replacement and what am I looking for? Are all hot ends interchangeable? What other parts could get damaged from the heat that I might need to replace?

If I want to order quickly from Amazon Prime, is it a J head? Are they all interchangeable?

2. Narnian

Narnian New Member

I took out what I assume is the J Head. Looks like the extruder nozzle / tip is toast. I don't see a way to get it cleaned out. Everything else looks OK. What kind of extruder nozzle is this and where can I buy five of them? Is there likely to be a local source in Sacramento?

3. Narnian

Narnian New Member

I couldn't figure out how to order a part through ROBO 3D. I'm guessing they just aren't set up for that type of support yet. After comparing photos all over the net and on the reprap boards, I'm pretty sure the robo 3D I have is using the Mark V hot end, with a one piece aluminum block and nozzle. I found a supplier in Ohio on eBay ($38) and ordered one. If it's a match when I get it, I will order a heater block with a screw in brass nozzle (about $8) and repair the hot end I cooked on Thursday so i have a spare - just in case I'm ever dumb enough to do this again.

I haven't figured out what kind of connector is being used on the robo. I will track that down next, so that swapping the hot end becomes a simple process.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Narnian

Narnian New Member

The "One of us" is actually important to me. I prefer to have confidence that the parts I'm buying are compatible. I'll go elsewhere when it's highway robbery, but if it's just a few bucks more to get parts from the vendor or same team I think it's worth paying extra. It builds a good relationship with a vendor. Business should always be a positive transaction that's a two way street.

I'll go look at Printed Solid's site now. I already bought the hot end, but at least I'll know where to go next time around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.