1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Review of my Robo3d

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CAMBO3D, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

To start off I will say this printer has been printing amazingly well overall. If I had to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) it would definitely be a 9.
    CIMG2430.JPG CIMG2520.JPG

I was a little disappointed when it first arrived at my doorstep. Unfortunately, my top casing somehow cracked but not to worry I didn’t plan on keeping the cover on it anyway. Further inspection revealed some areas that needed improvement. Having built a few 3d printers in the past, I’ve learned what works and what doesn’t so some of those ideas were implemented on my machine for more reliable performance.

I tidied up the wiring, fixed the unleveled heated bed (abs model), changed z end stop switch mounting and replace all limit switch screws with longer screws. A more recent discovery was the inefficient hobbed bolt used in the extruder. All these changes I made can be found on the forums. The bed is now level as can be, the z is dialed in, and the new upgraded hobbed bolt is working perfectly.

I can report 100% positive experience with this printer. For the price and professional appeal of the machine, it works great. I have included some PLA prints made on the robo3d and Looking forward to putting this machine to work.

prints below were sliced with kisslicer rc4.

CIMG2527.JPG CIMG2543.JPG CIMG2583.JPG CIMG2617.JPG CIMG2625.JPG CIMG2627.JPG CIMG2632.JPG CIMG2649.JPG

6 people like this.
  2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Great news, Cambo! After some of your early posts, I was worried you might blow a gasket along the way... instead, you have chosen to be an incredibly helpful source of information and assistance on this forum. I am quite impressed with your mods/upgrades/alterations and look forward to implementing them when my own machine finally arrives.
    So, thank you!
    And now, a question: did you upgrade your own hobbed bolt or purchase it somewhere? I plan on making a filament guide either way but it would sure be nice to avoid that particular problem altogether.
    Dean

2 people like this.
  3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I pulled it off one of my other printers but you can find these online. Just make sure the hobb is in the correct spot some of them vary.

4. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

good to know, thanks for the info
    cheers

5. john tucker

john tucker New Member

Hi Cambo, I am wondering how this printer compares to the others you've built, and what other printers you have experience with to compare? I am considering buying this unit, or spending the extra money and buying a Series 1 from Type A. Their unit cost about $1K more, but they've been getting good reviews. This is one of the first "reviews" I've seen of the Robo3d. I've built a couple myself, so I know what I don't want at this point.

Thanks in advance~

6. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I've built a couple of Rostocks and a Mendle Max 1.5+ from kit. Currently designing my own all aluminum printer. I expected to run into issues with these because they were kits and not fully assembled/calibrated machines.

The Robo on the other hand is supposedly a fully assembled and fully calibrated machine. As you can see from my posts and others. It's not ready to print out of the box. Unleveled bed and the hobbed bolt I would say were two of the major problems along with the other stuff that I mentioned in the above post. It wasn't what I was expecting to get.

I stated in another post these machines are more pre-built and pre-assembled VS fully calibrated and fully assembled. Granted this machine is just a recent addition to the market of 3d printers. They are behind in the curve compared to other 3d printers on the market. I expected it to be ready to print out of the box and not tinker and add things.

It's a good printer once you work out all the kinks though. It's budget built so your gonna have to compare what you want in the machine vs what your looking at. I never had any issues with mine once all the issues were fixed. It printed reliably when I needed it to. When I sold my Robo, I sold it with all my upgrades. The person that bought it from me says its printing wonderfully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.