1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo 3D R1 vs. Solidoodle Press....which one?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hellsbells, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells New Member

I am looking at purchasing a 3D printer and narrowed it down either the Robo 3D R1 or the Solidoodle Press. I am unsure of and hoping somebody would have some feedback to help me with the decision.

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

At this point, I'd go with the Robo for sure. I'm not entirely sure that they have shipped any Press yet. If they have, online communities have been pretty quiet. I haven't seen a peep abot them in the Facebook 3D Printing Clube page or the 3Dprinting subreddit.

Even before they ship, there are some red flags. One is the 'proprietary' items. Software and filament spool. Typically these sort of load it into the top of the machine type designs tend to not work out too well, so odds are you're going to end up with some community developed spool holder anyways. The proprietary software may or may not be a problem. Depending on how much they have it locked down, you may not even be able to adjust settings around print temperature, bed temperature, etc outside of the solidoodle proprietary size spools. Makerbot ran a proprietary code format, but at least early on allowed the community to contribute as well (we're talking pre-5th gen). So, you can use their proprietary programs as well as many others online. In the case of makerbot, their proprietary software was kind of nice because it was super easy to use. However, it is very limited so once you get beyond beginner, you're a little stuck. At this point with the press, I don't think there is any info about their proprietary software, so you could be stuck with some serious junk software with no alternative.

Their warranty also looks a little odd. Robo and solidoodle have both had similar growing pains with shipping printers with build quality issues. Robo seems to be getting past that reasonably well, but they still include a standard 6 month warranty. With their solidoodle plan, they seem to be lining the press up for a situation where you're not going to have coverage for potential junk builds unless you pay $100 extra for a warranty.

With the Robo, you're getting a larger build volume and more access to open source / community developed solutions. It is also in stock and shipping now.

I'd also add in the Hot end on the robo as a plus. The hexagon hot end allows you to print at high temperatures, so you're pretty much set to go with true expansive multi-material out of the box. Want to print nylon, colorFabb XT, polycarbonate blends, wood, etc? Go for it. There have been a few hexagons that have had issues, but they're covered under the warranty. Of course if you don't like it, we've got community designed mods to switch it up to an E3D V6.

Did I mention our community is pretty awesome? :)

2 people like this.
  3. milks

milks Member

I was on the waiting list for a Press for a long time but defected and bought a Robo after a number of delays.

The first Press' shipped a couple of weeks ago. There are a number of common issues emerging which you can get a feel for here: http://www.soliforum.com/forum/28/solidoodle-press/

The Robo has it's fair share of issues too of course but quite a lot of these have been addressed in the current iteration and more importantly as it's an established machine these issues are well documented and the solutions shouldn't be far from hand whereas the Press community are still working on getting everything ironed out.

Aside from that the Robo has a bigger build area, supports a wide range of materials out of the box, is easier to tinker with and is all open source. The only advantages I can see with the Press is it's cheaper and has an enclosed build area.

4. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Very extremely hugely awesome.

5 people like this.
  5. Hellsbells

Hellsbells New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am heading towards the Robo. Does it print with supports for hollow areas?

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It can be solid or hollow. any filament printer will do that. It's part of what you choose when you're setting up the print. You can download Cura here http://ultimaker.com/en/products/software to go and simulate the code and play with different options.

7. Hellsbells

Hellsbells New Member

I ordered the Robo from Amazon and it will be here Tuesday. The reviews on Amazon are mostly 4 and 5 stars with some 1's and 2's. If the Robo doesn't work out then I will try a RepRap kit next.

2 people like this.
  8. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

I read most of the reviews on the Robo3d on Amazon. Most of the 1s and 2s were by people who truly wanted something completely plug and play. And sadly the FDM home market isn't quite there yet.

I've had good lucky with my Robo3d. As a complete and utter noob I've learned a lot with the Kickstarter edition. The major thing I grapple with these days is understand how much detail you can get from the STL slicer before the printer either refuses to handle it or the slicer fails to slice right (normally it is the latter).