1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Should nozzle clearance=Layer height ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tonycstech, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

When i adjust nozzle clearance, do i need to keep the layer height in mind and make it the same ?
    I wonder.
    If i adjust it dead at the bottom, i see no extrusion at all.

When software generates the code, what nozzle height does it think i have ?
    If i have 0.01 from the build plaftorm, will code be generated to lift the nozzle 0.01+layer height ? Doesnt seem like it does.

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Should nozzle clearance=Layer height ?

answer: No

your software will determine your layer height, depending on print settings. Just set your nozzle height to the thickness of a sheet of paper and you should be good.

Your nozzle should never touch the bed.

3. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

To be clear:
    Nozzle height from the bed=nozzle clearance.

So then if i get my nozzle bottomed out its a good thing ?
    No contact but perhaps closer then sheet of paper or as close as i can get without drag.

4. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Level your nozzle so it just touches the bed at each and of the x axis. (place a flash light on the bed facing the nozzle, it will help) Go into your slicer setting and set first layer height to .300 first, if that doesn't smoosh the filament enough set it to .200 If you set the nozzle so it's .100 off the bed (paper thickness) then set first layer height to .20.

I think this is what is giving people a lot of problems with first layer adhesion, People would set the nozzle to paper thickness about .100, then the first layer height setting default setting would be 100% which is 100% of what ever your layer height is, Lets say .300 so you have .100+.300=.400=bad adhesion.

5. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

That was my next question:
    Does 1st layer height have anything to do with my nozzle clearance, but you already answered it.

I suspected they had to be same. 1st layer height and nozzle clearance. Correct ?

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

just make sure you are talking about the right thing Cura uses a setting like that to check for the amount of area it can print in with out interfereing with other prints used when doing multiple parts at the same time if the parts can be printed individually from the first layer up Cura will try to do so

So make sure you are talking about exactly the right thing

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.