1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

So how safe is PLA

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tesseract, Jul 11, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I was wondering about making actually drinking cups or mugs out of PLA that would hold water, beer, soda, milk, etc. Is it safe to do so I know PLA is biodegradable but not sure if it can be eaten from or drank from?

If not PLA, is there other material that would work better?

2. Matthias

Matthias Member

Try to cut a 2-3 inch piece from your filament, put it in a cup filled with water and put it in a microwave for half a minute. I guess that answers the majority of your questions :)

3. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I was thinking more for pool side where you don;t want glass so most things would be cooler anyway soda beer tea

5. Matthias

Matthias Member

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

so as long as I only drink German Beer I should be OK...LOL

Thanks Mathias,that does tell to look further as well

7. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Maybe you could design something that another plastic cup would go inside, so you could 3d print your fancy cup design, and just slip a store bought plastic cup inside.

8. Drathus

Drathus Guest

I'd be wary of things like that, as that type of use-case is usually dye/colorant free.

9. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Good point, Who knows what they use for colourant. Most likely it would be toxic.

10. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

your bigger issue will be making it watertight. I printed a 0.25" solid wall thickness pla part. I set it in water to help remove it from the BP and was quite surprised when it whicked water right to the top of the part. It was like it was sweating.

So, you're probably going to need to coat it with something. You can make that something be some kind of a food safe lacquer. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

That is strange I am actually testing a failed piece now I have a 3layer base and a 3 wall perimeter printing at 200microns and I think I set the perimeter and base extruding width to 105% and it is holding water very well granted it is only 1/2" tall not much of a cup or a glass but it is holding the water just fine I set it on a paper towel expecting the worst but it is holding its own ...pun intended.
    A 3 wall perimeter at 105% of .4 yields a 1.26mm wall it has been on the paper towel for almost 30 minutes now with no leaking or seeping issues

2013-07-12 13.58.12.jpg

The bubbles you see are from the carbonated drink.

The flat edge seen at the top is NOT the width that is why it failed z for got to go up and it simply printed a wider rim you could call it but the walls are indeed 3 thick.

12. polylac

polylac New Member

Hi together

Pure PLA is safe. But you don't know which additives are used. And they might be not food save.
    Additives are used not only for colouring but also for making it more durable, harder, more flexibel etc.
    Best would be to find a seller who sells food-safe-filament like this on here: (google knows)

http://www.makergeeks.com/fogrplafi.html

Take something like this if you want to be 100% on the safe side.