1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solution for driver not installed (especially for Win8.1 users)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jaeyoun "Zerial" Lim, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaeyoun "Zerial" Lim

in the robo3d guide ( http://guide.robo3dprinter.com ) there is a USB-Serial driver which will allow your Windows computer to communicate with the arduino board inside your Robo3D.

However, I found out that the USB-Serial driver is not compatible with the latest version of Windows, 8.1, and some are even having trouble with their Win8 as well.

If you are in this case, try using Arduino IDE from http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
    It is a bit larger and complex program, but all you have to do is to follow the robo3d guide, just install the IDE instead of teensy serial_install.exe.

addition : if you have trouble with moving your nozzle manually after this, type in M999 into the G-Code (just below the blue virtual-LCD status screen sort-a-thing) and hit Send button on your Manual Control tab in Repetier-Host, as suggested by the log screen.

3 people like this.
  2. AKVai

AKVai New Member

Thanks for that, I did indeed find the USB Serial driver incompatible with 8.1

3. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

You mean everyone else doesn't ALREADY have the Arduino IDE installed on all their computers? ;)

4. Jason Kish

Jason Kish New Member

I have a new Microsoft Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1 and I have tried installing the Arduino software was well as the drivers but it doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks

5. longtemps

longtemps New Member

Okay, is Windows 8 something that wasn't taken into account when the Robo3D was configured? Is Windows OS something that hadn't been taken into account? I just received my unit today and tried to connect to a Windows 8.0 PC. The printer came with a printed guide version dated August which made no mention of needing a driver for Windows. Solutions offered here and in the newer online version of the guide haven't worked. I will try it with my Windows 7 desktop next, though this isn't the machine I intended to use with it, being located near bedrooms where I really don't want to send melting ABS fumes...

6. longtemps

longtemps New Member

I may have complained about such a basic thing being up in the air, having zero success with the drivers mentioned in this thread, but I didn't leave it at that. A little very basic research, searching for a Taurino USB driver yielded, among others, this:

http://reprap.org/wiki/File:RRD_RUMBA_TAURINO_DriverSetup.zip

It is a driver signed by Reprap Discount. I installed it, went into Device Manager, uninstalled the driverless Taurino ATmega, checked for new hardware and the card came back, with a driver and a port assignment.

I am at my job now, so didn't have a chance this morning to do more than verify that the Robo3D was connecting and responding to manual axis commands. If others have a chance to try this driver file more extensively, please post. I am running Windows 8 and would be curious to hear whether 8.1 users have success with this driver, as I had planned to update my PC shortly.

3 people like this.
  7. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

If it's responding the manual axis commands, you're good to go. Glad you got it sorted out...

Windows 8 is proving to be a royal PITA for more than just the Robo3D. Drivers for all sorts of things are having mega problems with loading and being found... I have five different hardware platforms here that I do work on which use Linux, XP, Win7, and recently started adding Win8 to a few of them. So far, EVERY machine I've tried using Win8 on has had a huge number of problems with drivers, where as with Win7 they either "just worked" or found the drivers online, downloaded 'em, installed, and worked fine after. With my two Win7 machines I'm using for driving my Robo on I already had the Arduino IDE installed, so either from that or from the drivers being automatically installed via another method, it "just worked" for me. I'm not even going to ATTEMPT driving my Robo on Win8. I'm using it as absolutely minimally as I possibly can and sticking with Linux or Win7 on all the machines I need to get actual work done on!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.