1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stop throwing your nuts!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I know many of you are having issues throwing your nuts and I think I found how to lessen the chance or possibly eliminate it entirely. I have not had the issue occur to me in quite a while so I think this procedure may be sound

The trick is getting the activation of the z switch correct in order to stop "throwing the nuts" Many people think the switch is broken or something but it is I believe much different it isn't so much that not activating the switch is the problem or that it is broken it is simply that the switch is already activated but the printer doesn't know it so it will still allow a downward movement "Home All" included and the z movement downward looking for the swtcht to activate never is able to get the signal and ends up throwing the nuts.

What I have found is this there is a gray area that exists on the switch between when it activates and when it resets and that depending where you end up when you set the z height could allow you more easily throw your nuts.

When you set the switch listen to it when it actually activates and you will hear a click then reverse directions of the screwdriver and listen for the resetting click, the second click, and notice how much play there is.

Throwing the nuts or other bads things like loose bed height settings can occur when you set the z height to close to either end of this gray area. I found it best to set it so it is in the middle of this range
    and once set that way it shouldn't need to be adjusted again like that unless something big occurs that affects the settings.

The rest of the more refined adjustments when tuning the skirt heights are made from that middle point.

Hopefully this will reduce the amount of times you end up throwing your nuts.

2. Peter Humphries

Peter Humphries New Member

Homing the Z axis resulted in throwing the nuts every time when I started using the RoBo 3D. No matter how I adjusted the switch, the carriage seemed to drop onto it but not trigger it.

Finally, I put my finger on the plastic T bar as it approached Z = 0.00, pushing down as the nut lowered it, and the switch triggered, stopping the descent perfectly.

I have since slipped a threaded pipe connector over the long bolt, adding just enough weight to ensure that the switch is pushed down enough to trigger the "homed" signal and stop the descent. The connector is much larger than the bolt so that there is no chance of it catching, and just heavy enough to make the stop screw push down the switch arm instead of letting the switch hold up the carriage.

Attached Files:

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You should not have to do that. what is happening is that you x axis is not level to the bed the left side is lower than the right when you add teh weight you are actually lowering that side by bending the bars ever so slight so that it is level.

Right now without the weight the left side makes contact with the bed while the right side has not hit the switch yet so the throwing of the nuts starts because the bed can not lower any further and the switch can not get activated = throw the nuts. When you add the weight you are bending the x axis just enough so the contact is made on the left side AND the switch gets activated and everything works.

You need to make sure that when you use the business card to set the height you do it on both side left and right. The most accurate and beneficial place to do this is at the center of the y travel as this will be where most of your printing is done. That being done your homing is done in the front left so this should also be close to what the middle shows as well.

If this cannot be done with the bed as it currently is you may have to look at some bed leveling techniques.

There is a whole process I go through to get it all setup correctly. If you want you can get a hold of me in SKYPE and we can go over it all at the same time. The instant messaging in Skype is a bit more conducive to this. Look me up if you want and send a contact request
    Jeff Janes or jj.tesseract

4. Godman

Godman New Member

Hey everyone,

I had this problem, too. The problem didn't appear to be left side/right side calibration. The problem for me seemed to be that the activation of the z home switch was really variable / unpredictable.

A useful test I found is to take the z axis near the bed and then move the head up and down by .1 increments and note where the switch opens and closes. I was having problems where the switch was closing unpredictably, and I'd throw nuts all the time.

Now, the structure of the switch is like this:

+-----\
    +----o+

Where the top bar is a piece of metal, and the o is the switch location. Now, the way my printer was shipped, the calibration bolt was positioned like this:
    |
    |
    +---\
    +--o+
    Or, directly over the bolt. I noticed in some pictures of calibration, it appeared that the bolt wasn't directly over the switch for other people. I suspected manufacturing variability, so I'm running an experiment:
    1. Removed top cover
    2. Removed switch assembly
    3. Reversed switch assembly
    4. Put it back together.
    Now, it's more like this:
    |
    |
    +------\
    +-----o+
    That is, the calibration bolt is now over the metal bar, but not the switch. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be, but I have some early optimism about the fix, as I was throwing bolts 80% of the time before, and it has been reliable on 100% of a few prints (though I ran out of time).
    Let me know if I'm insane and shouldn't be doing this.
    Your point, tesseract, is a good one though... in order to throw bolts that would have to mean something was resting on something as the hot end came down. I tried to figure this out a few times. I determined it wasn't the head on the bed, but I didn't prove what it was. I fancied, I guess, that it was the calibration bolt resting off to the side of the switch without activating it, but I don't know that for sure. I'll find out more in the next couple of days and post back.
    Cheers,
    Pete

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Pete I am having problems following your diagram not sure what you did or are doing

After the z axis is level then it does become a triggering issue I have found that when teh bed is at teh proper height then I go to set the z height stop switch to match it I lower the screw until it activates the switch by pushing down on the lever but then I also reverse it jus to see how much play there is to "unactivate" it meaning how high must the screw move so the switch can be activated again. If this is a large amount then I will have trouble throwing the nuts. I try to minimize that distance by bending the lever in such a way that the least amount of movement will go form the active to inactive positions and then set mine in the middle with a great deal of success I rearly throw my nuts now. I can't even remember the last time I did.

6. Peter Humphries

I will check that out.

I agree that I should not have to do that. :D

However, I really looked carefully, and it seemed that the switch was actually pushing up the right side carriage instead of the right side carriage triggering the switch. And, just as Pete noted, the screw pushes on the switch (on my printer) very close to the fulcrum; I wondered about re-positioning the screw or the switch or both.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't forget that lever it can be bent so it is higher as well doing so will change how the button gets activated

I am not sure about these but I have noticed amongst the same type of switches the activation pressure can be different

8. Godman

Godman New Member

tesseract: your message suggests that on your printer the adjustment bolt is not directly over the sensor part of the switch. If it were, bending the metal wouldn't do much. I'm sorry the diagrams suck... among other things, this message board removes extra whitespace which makes things hard.

I'll take a picture of what my switch looks like after the reversal if I get a chance.

Here's the picture I saw in the setup guide that made me suspicious:
    [​IMG]
    It pretty clearly looks in that picture like the bolt (right side of red rectangle) is over the METAL part of the switch, not the actual sensor, which is on the left. If you imagine something like this, where the bolt is directly over the actual sensor, that's what mine looked like before I turned the switch around. You can see in that picture the back side of the two bolts you unscrew to remove the switch. It's reversible, so that's what I did. I had to make a little play in one of the wires to get it to work.

Hope that helps with diagnosis. Like I say, it seemed more reliable on the first couple of prints, but it's too early to say.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You are right, You see I did this mod before it was a mod I got my printer several months ago and have been helping developing some of the mods. This was one I worked on with another user Cambo3D basically his mod really I just incorporated it on my printer. I drilled my own hole so it is definitely positioned above the lever and not the switch. I believe you have corrected an anomoly as it is supposed to be positioned above the lever. You will have much better luck with it in the correct position. I hope the OP Peter reads this as well his may be positioned backwards as well.

10. Peter Humphries

Thanks for the picture from the manual, Pete. Mine definitely does not look like that. :oops:

So, it appears that re-positioning the switch to move the stop screw farther along the trigger arm would not only solve my problem with activating the Z axis home signal but also bring my printer in line with current specifications. :)

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

good job Godman thnx for the pic you may want to drop the robo guys a note and tell them the z stop switch was not installed correctly and tell them what you had to do to fix it mention the fulcrum part.

Glad you both got it straightened out

12. Godman

Godman New Member

I let Braydon know about the forum post. If you reverse your switch, let us know if this fixes your problem. It's probably pretty obvious, but the steps were:
    1. Snip the wire tie that holds the hot end wire conduit (right under the top of the housing). Careful not to snip any wires!
    2. Remove four bolts around the base of the housing.
    3. Remove housing.
    4. Identify two bolts that hold the z-axis switch in place. You can see the back of them in the picture above.
    5. Remove those two bolts.
    6. Reverse the switch. Verify that the z-axis adjustment bolt now is over the metal part, further along the arm than it was. If it isn't, this isn't going to help.
    7. Replace two z-axis switch bolts.
    8. Replace housing, and bolts for housing
    9. Re-attach the conduit to the top of the printer housing. I used a twist-tie rather than a wire tie, in case I need to do it again!

13. Peter Humphries

The stop screw is through the "T" of the carriage on my printer, not on a separate "L" plate as in the picture from the manual that you posted. Reversing the switch will move the activator to the far end of the support arm and put the end of the metal strip under the screw, instead.

You can just make out all that in the picture that I posted, above. It looks as though the design changed, and my Z axis switch was mounted for the other iteration of the stop screw mounting.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

mine looks just like that Peterif that switch is reversed all should be much better as long as the screw will hit the lever it should function as a stop switch just fine without the weight the issue may be in the amount of play need to actually activate the switch by moving the lever you may find that the lever is actually being pushed down but may not activate teh button until sometime after the inital conact it may have to move it down 1/16 of an inch just a guess but it depends on how far you are from the fulcrum /button

15. bob wired

bob wired New Member

My z -axis started acting up, and the adjustment screw was practically on top of the microswitch button, and the weight of the carriage would not always activate the Z-axis switch. When this would happen, the printer would throw it's nuts, as it never found the Z-axis home position.

For now, I just bent up the microswitch laver, so the nut directly activates the microswitch button. Not as ideal as repositioning the switch to the right place, but it is working for now.

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Bob check to see that the switch id oriented the right direction the open end of the lever should be point to the front of the printer. the closed side(fulcrum)where the actual activating button is should be toward the back there have been several lately that have had them reversed

I am almost sure yours is another that is backwards

17. Peter Humphries

I turned my Z-axis switch around (which was no big deal -- cut loose or unscrew the cable holding the wiring to the top of the cover, unscrew the four bolts from the sides of the cover, lift off the cover, unscrew the two bolts holding the switch, rotate the switch, repeat the first few steps in reverse order), and it was improved, but it still threw the nuts because the switch is stiff enough to lift the carriage when it first makes contact. Once the other side has dropped a bit more, the switch is thrown.

So, I put the weight back on, as pictured, above, and it has been working like a charm, since.

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Peter where is the screw making contact on the switch it should take almost no pressure to move the lever
    the screw should be in the middle of the switch lever ideally and not on either extreme but if it had to be one or the other slightly closer to the actual button would be better. I am curious why yours is the only one that requires weight that I have heard about I feel something is still off in your setup.

I mean if you think about it there are only a few things that could affect the weight being applied to that switch lever and they are very minor affects. One would be that some how the angle of the vertical rod on the left and the x axisis much less than 90 degrees forming some kind of lever action that take the weight off the right side and adds it to the left by lifting it due to the angle but if the x axis is leve that would mean the angle would be 90 degrees aor very close so it should not have any lever action going on at all so all the weight on the right side should be on the nut inside the right side x axis tray. so unless the nut is somehow binding up as the screw reaches the lever the entire weight of the motor and the x axis chassis onthe right side should be cumulative and all work to push that lever.

if all that weight does not move that lever something else is wrong or that switch's lever function is not functioning properly

19. Peter Humphries

With the switch turned 180°, the stopper bolt is making contact roughly in the middle of the lever arm, slightly closer to the actuator.

As best I can tell, everything is level and straight. When the chassis lowers, the bolt makes contact with the switch and that side of the chassis momentarily stops dropping. The nut screws out a bit (the other side continues to drop, but the extruder hits the bed if it is already homed on the X-axis), and then the right side chassis drops, triggering the switch.

With the added weight of the pipe connector, the switch is triggered smoothly.

I agree that there should be enough weight on there, already. I conclude that my switch is unusually stiff.

The extra weight on the Z-axis screw rod on the trigger side does not seem to have any other effect on the operation of the printer so that I am using it with the weight, now. If someone wanted to send to me a replacement switch, I would be happy to swap out my current one to see if it is just a stiff switch. :)

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

so the strength of a thin piece of metal acting as a lever will not pivot on its fulcrum with the entire weight of a stepper motor plus the weight of the x axis chassis piece.

Does that sound right to you? I would check that micro switch out it has to be broken and if it is it could cause other things that the extra weight may not compensate for.

I mean if it works OK I guess but something sounds off to me and you are the only one having to do this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.