1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Too Much Cooling

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Brendan Fennell, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Brendan Fennell

Brendan Fennell New Member

Hello everyone. I've had my R1+ for a while now, and I really like it. I just installed the Black Widow cooling upgrade from Thingiverse, and it works fantastically. In fact, It may work a little too well. I started a print with it after install, and the print cancelled after about a minute. Upon the second try, the print only lasted about thirty seconds then stopped in it's place. I ended up figuring out that the problem was the temperature of the hot end. With both ducted 20mm fans running at 100% power, my hot end can't get above room temperature. I've been able to print by limiting the fan speed to 30% in MatterControl, But I don't see this being a permanent solution. I wanted to be able to bridge better and improve the quality of overhangs on prints, but by limiting the power of the fans I don't feel much more air on the extruded filament than stock. I'm guessing I need some kind of upgrade for my hot end, as it wasn't made to handle the amount of air I'm pushing on it, but I'm not sure where I should turn for this. Also, I'm thinking if I upgrade the hot end, I'll have to change the fan mounting-ducting system I just finished. There's no serious urgency, as I can print with the fans at limited power. I'd just like to get this figured out so I can start improving the quality of my prints.

I'll try to attach a picture of my setup for those who are unfamiliar, but I haven't posted pictures before, so we'll see how this goes. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

IMG_20160124_101013.jpg

#1 Brendan Fennell, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Jimmy Husain likes this.
  2. Trama

Trama Member

I would not use the 20mm deep fans. It moves to much air. It also looks like you have the short versions of it printed which only really works for the rear fan because of the heating element. Your just pushing to much air over the hot end and the stock 20 watt heater can't cope with it. Upgrading the heater may work but I would switch to two 40x40x10 fans and print the normal shroud for the front.

I am using a remixed version of the black widow that I modified to allow me to use both regular length shrouds and it helps direct the air more directly over the filament and not the whole hotend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Brendan Fennell

I actually am using the standard length shroud for the front end.

4. Trama

Trama Member

The front shroud looks a lot shorter then the original found below

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Black+widow+remix&sa=

This is a remix that I am using for the back. It lies below the heater and won't push air on it causing it to cool faster then it heats. I still have issue printing over 230c, that's when I need to turn it down to 75%.

Note it should be printed in something with a high melting point since it only clears the heater by a little over a millimeter.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1268225

5. Brendan Fennell

Alright, I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks! If I do want to upgrade the hot end, does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about it?

6. Trama

Trama Member

I go to YouTube looking for instructional vids on stuff like that