1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Transparent prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dr. D, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

I have noticed something interesting with transparent filaments.

The hobbed bolt seem to have an impact on the transparency/translucency of any print. When I was using the stock hobbed bolt transparent came out pretty clear with my new recessed hobbed bolt filaments come out kind of blotchy as if inconsistent (but the layer has uniform thickness.) I find this to be an interesting effect but at the moment unwanted.

Anybody know any tips for getting transparent prints more transparent?

I used a method I call "shelling" by bumping up the "minimum parameter" setting in reapiter host to an insane number (I normally pick like 70) this causes the print to be pretty transparent when looked on vertically (depending on the shape) all in all its a neat effect when you can see the path the printer takes to make an object. But it seems this hobbed bolt issue is making "shelling" less effective.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The hobbed bolt COULD be causing an issue only in the feed improvement you gain by having a better hobbed bolt actually in use.

The filament at the point it is interfacing with the hobbed bolt is still in the normal filament consistancy and has yet to be heated let alone melted and then extruded. All of these events which occur well after the hobbed bolt interaction and will completely change the material as it goes through softening , then melting and then extruding.

Look to an increase in teh amount of filament being put in to the print, try reducing the flowrate it may get you back to where youwere before.

But the hobbed bolt when operating properly only makes small indentation in the filament and can not cause a change in appearance in the print.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I would be interested in learning more about your "shelling" process what minimum are you referring to that you bump up can you upload pics about it that show some examples.

As to your main transparency issue it will be more filament based than anything else some things can cause some change extrusion speed but the clearest will be the natrural transparent.

Print Solid does have some material that is made to be a bit clearer than most in natural. you should chat with him.or go to his site printedsolid.com

4. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Yeah sure, I was printing with a natural transparent PLA and I noticed that the perimeters were more clear to see through (well looking at it from the top) then the rest of the infill. So I decided it would be interesting if I could get the perimeters to be throughout the entire print. So I set the minimum perimeter setting really high and would force repiter to make the entire print out of perimeters. It looks pretty neat for transparent filaments.

I set minimum perimeters to really high 70.

Attached Files:

5. polylac

polylac New Member

can you please post a pic of the result?

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

If you go to the Taulman site, they have a whole page on their blog about getting your parts to be more transparent.
    I've also had hit and miss luck with clarifying colorfabb XT and t-glase prints with vapor polishing.

7. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Here is a good example I was moving at a relatively low speed around 30 mm and I believe I was cooking it a little hot around 200.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.