1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ultimate upgrade for control board?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CAMBO3D, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

2. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Looks feasible. But $129 and a wait similar to this one, maybe for 2015.

3. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Why would you want something so sophisticated put to operate something that requires no more power then a calculator ?
    $30 audrino board by its self is more then enough to print.
    Due to size of extruders and average build platform, you cant print more then 1 object simultaneously so its always 1 and then 2 or jumping from 1 to 2 until both are completed.

The above is not a limit of G-Code or Hardware, but the money.
    Money dictate how sophisticated your printer can get.

I have to agree that it would be nice if Printer could transmit video on youtube of your print as well as have its own web interface to control it over the internet.

4. sjreggel

sjreggel New Member

Well, this already works, without waiting for this kickstarter project.
    I hooked my robo3d ramps board up to an raspberry pi, and are running octoprint (octopi) on it.
    Now i have an web enabled printer that executes my gcode without bothering my computer and with an attach webcam it also makes a nice timelaps video's of ever print!

For me this is the way to go, i can monitor my printer (via the webcam and code visualiser) from every device.
    I use repetier to slice, then save the code and upload it to the pi.
    I really love it this way!

So what i think in respect to the kickstarter project is that, considering that you already have the ramps board in place, this wouldn't be beneficial as you can use a standard raspberry pi to do all controls you need for the printer. Which is still cheaper than this project.
    On the long run though i would like to see that the Robo3D would deliver an intergrated solution, so selling an web-enabled 3dprinter!

5. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Sjreggel that looks interesting... as a 30£ upgrade.... do you need anything to get the ramps board onto the pie?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. sjreggel

sjreggel New Member

No you don't need anything else, you just connect the usb port of the ramp to the pi instead of to you pc, thats is.
    You just need an old sd card, put the octopi image on there, start the pi, configure your usb port and speed, thats it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Might have a play with that a net enabled system would be sweet I have seen you can link with bluetooth direvt to the ramps tx and rx but I want sure it was stand alone

So you connect the taurino not the ramps to the pie?

I was looking at usin a pi or arduino to connect in paralel with the sd on the reprapdisco screen and making a network file system but had not got far and is a pretty horrible way of doing it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

8. sjreggel

sjreggel New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.