1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unable to manually control printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mitchell Snyder, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitchell Snyder

Mitchell Snyder New Member

I have gone through all of the setup steps and tutorials for getting the printer up and running but when I go to try and do the step of manually controlling the printer it doesn't do anything. Repetier acts like it is sending the commands just fine, it seems that the printer simply isn't receiving or acting on those commands. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm not sure what other details would be helpful in troubleshooting this so let me know if you've got some ideas for things to check out.

Thanks!

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Did you try clicking the home button first?, some people said this solved the same problem.

3. Mitchell Snyder

Yeah. I tried that and the numbers stopped being red but it still doesn't attempt to move the motors at all. When I plug the printer into the computer there is a green LED on the arduino that flashes but then after that there's no lights that I see on the board. Should any of those lights stay on?

4. Jaeyoun "Zerial" Lim

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Mitch not sure what system you are using Mac or PC the driver for Windows is a bit on the funky side but I am not sure if that is the issue it can connect sometimes just not communicate.

I assume the connect button on teh upper left is green when you issue thes move commands does the upper right window say anything like command waiting or does something flash and then it says idle
    or does it just say idle?

6. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I've noticed that when powering up the unit, you have to power on the machine, and THEN hook up the USB cable. If I hooked up the USB, and then powered on the printer, windows would recognize it, but I would be unable to connect or send commands to the printer.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

That may be the some people were seeing and I do not think I have heard that fix yet.

I am not sure why that is the case it usually works in any order for other devices but it could be that special driver as well

You may want to start a thread about it. You could help several new people. I run on MAC so can't test but maybe some else can help you verify

8. Mitchell Snyder

tesseract,
    Thanks for the ideas. It does turn green and say that it is connected in the application. As far as device manager goes, I see the Arduino Mega listed under the Port (COM/Serial) section and there is no exclamation point on it. Windows makes the sound of connecting and disconnecting a device when you plug or unplug it. I am running Windows 8.1 but I've also tested on a Windows 7 machine and had the same results. Sometimes it acts like it sends the commands just fine and says Idle and other times it queues them up and says "# commands waiting". Do those two things mean the driver is or is not working?
    Unfortunately Matt's solution did not affect it at this point but may help down the road.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok that is a problem
    are you using a hub or extension if so eliminate them and go get a longer USB it needs to be a direct link I had nothing but problems on mine when I had either a hub or extension in line in both Windows and MAC and none after I went with the straight cable.

It can be connected and not communicate that is what the commands waiting signifies

Connection and communicate = no commands waiting
    Connection only = commands waiting

when I had issues I could always connect but not always communicate which is exactly what you are seeing

10. Mitchell Snyder

I'm not using any extensions or hubs so I don't think that's the problem.
    Do you know whether an orange light that flashes on the back side of the arduino indicates communication or something entirely different?

11. Holger

Holger New Member

Hello,
    today I can say that I've the same problem. But perhaps a little different?
    If I send the manual control command than I can hear a sound from the stepper motor. But nothing will move.
    I double checked wires, driver, different USB Ports, XP and win7.

@ Snyder
    Do you found a solution?

Holger

12. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Im having the same problem.

Windows 8.1, all up to date system. updated driver installed as instructed in workaround on here.

After a print my printer stops responding.

Work around has been unplug everything and try alternating between usb in and power out and vise versa.

Its getting annoying to have to reboot entire system just to start a new print.

I will give big loves to whomever comes up with a solution to this problem.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Does your log screen show anything unusual at the end of the print?

Maybe a couple pics of the log screen and the (printer panel/manual controls) after the print ends

14. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Nothing interesting in the logs i am aware of but will take a deeper look, photos and videos after this print finishes and the system locks up :)

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Right off the top I am going to guess that it is a win 8 thing not sure but win 8 users have seen disconnectivity issues already so just letting you know

16. Bauer

Bauer New Member

I have windows 7 with the same problem. No communication. Says 5 commands waiting. Any help?

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

18. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Offhand I would say if you have that problem try to hit the emergency stop button in Repetier. Then hit home. That should regain control. If not, power cycle the printer. If you continue to have problems such as irregular connectivity or commands problems check your speed and buffer size for the printers tty connection. If that STILL had problems, try a different USB port and or a different cable.

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

yeah he is getting th e 5 commands waiting error so it is a communications thing

20. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Just as an update, nothing in the log, nothing out of the norm... but still the commands fail... Have noticed that the heat bed will stop heating part way through prints now and wont respond to a manual command to heat... yet the printer continues printing.

Getting super annoying with all the failed prints

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.