1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What is causing this awful Y axis slipping?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoLongSidekick, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

I can't think of anything I have changed that would have caused this. I have:

- Upgraded to metric rods (Z axis, makes no sense)
    - Changed firmware to allow metric rods (reinstalling just in case)
    - Installed build plate lights

Here is what I am talking about:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been dealing with some family issues the past few weeks which has kept me off the forums and away from the printer. I haven't really printed anything in that period so I can't imagine what would be causing this. My X belt is tight and nothing is catching that I can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Could it be the y axis belt or loose bolts holding the stepper motors? Have you checked that All bolts are tight?

3. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Yeah I tightened all the allen nubs holding the threaded bolts tight, and turned up the stepper driver torque just a tad. Does anyone know exactly what voltage I am supposed to read off the stepper drivers?

4. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

Wow, that looks bad all around!

Belt pulleys and stepper torque are what I'd look at. I think i turned mine up a full 20%. I looked up the specs on the drivers and cranked them up to 1A. I don't remember what voltage that was.

Another trick is to turn down the acceleration dramatically. It will increase your print time but slow prints are better than no prints.

2 people like this.
  5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

And I would pay special attention to the y belt/gear screws before anything else (based on that photo). Too tight on any of the belts can possibly achieve the same symptoms, too. A gentle twang, right? Good luck!

6. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

How is your bed attached? You don't appear to be using the standard screw holes? Is it possible the Y bed is slipping?

7. Bob64

Bob64 Member

From my experience:
    It's probably the printhead colliding with a raised part of the print. The print is stuck to the bed, so the belt for the x axis will slip instead.

Is your heated build plate working?

8. Jack_Adamczuk

Jack_Adamczuk New Member

I have same problem.
    I changed the threaded rods and nuts in the Z-axis This is probably the contortion of these bars during transport.

9. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I tried setting my speed down to 30 across all parameters and I prefer the 50 speed. It seems to be what the printer prefers.

At slower speeds I believe you need to play with the extrude rate. Possibly increasing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Just to make sure - the title of this thread should be Y Axis Slipping, right?

Also check the two Y axis Idler bearing bolts under the bed. They loosened for me and others.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.