1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What is the nozzle size?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JJHawg, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJHawg

JJHawg New Member

The documentation says 0.4 mm, but when I gently extrude a long string of plastic, it measures 0.5 mm consistently. Maybe there is some bulging due to the extrusion pressure, but it doesn't look like that is happening...

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

There will be some die swell, but it could also be the resolution of what you are measuring it with.

2 people like this.
  3. JJHawg

JJHawg New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Seshan. I am measuring with cheap digital calipers, but they are pretty accurate.

I have had good printing results with a setting of 0.4mm, but while troubleshooting a problem with first layer globs, I measured the filament. I believe the spec of 0.4mm, but was wondering if anyone else had verified it; there is always the possibility that the manufacture put in the wrong one... ;-)

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

there are many setting which can affect this so at that measurement I am thinking your nozzle is pretty much right on at the .4

you issues is probably not related to that it is about 99% chance to be a height adjustment I can help you through the complete setup but it will take some time let me know when you can work on it

5. JJHawg

JJHawg New Member

Thanks. I am traveling this weekend but will be able to do some testing on Monday.

I am thinking about adjusting the height during the print to see what happens...

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Right now I do not see how that is possible other than by turning the rods but doing so will screw up the print as the two rods would have to moved the exact same amount in order to insure the print is done correctly. Adjusting the z stop screw only adjusts the starting bed height everything else movement related becomes translated to gcode and really can't be changed

7. JJHawg

JJHawg New Member

I agree. I'm just talking about one or two clicks just to see the effect...

Also, I forgot to mention that the first layer problem is only with the solid infill, the perimeter passes are fine...

I'm not worried, I'm sure there is an adjustment that will fix it.

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

hopefully on the .1 button LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.