1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Wobbley threaded rods

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Brian-UK, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian-UK

Brian-UK New Member

Hi all I have only had my Robo3D about 5 days now and I have noticed that the threaded bars for the z-axis wobble a lot at the top. Is this normal and is it a problem?

This is a short clip of my just raising the z-axis so you can see.

Thanks

Brian

2. sjreggel

sjreggel New Member

Hi Brian,

My right threaded rod behaves the same, my right coupler seems a bit bend, i don't like it at all as it is also more noisy than it should be. But for me there is no effect of it in the print.
    In your video it seems (but i am not sure as the cam is also a bit shaky) that your smooth-rod is also wobbling, which would have a big impact on the print.
    I think it wouldn't hurt to add some rod stabilizers like these http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:216300 (but there are also others)

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Brian, if the smooth rod is not shaking then the threaded rod movement is OK. Can't tell about the smooth rod from the video. My threaded rods probably move that much.

4. Brian-UK

Brian-UK New Member

Hi thanks for the relies yes the smooth one does move the higher the z-axis the more it moves I'll print out the stabilisers and give them a try. Both of the threaded rods do this. I've been trying to print them and the fan clamp but at present I can't get a print to finish they come away from the bed I have ordered some PLA to see if I can get the mods printed and see it if helps.

Thanks

Brian

5. polylac

polylac New Member

Hi

The threaded rods are supposed to do that. They are never 100% straight, so they are free to move. Otherwise they would interfere with the smooth ones (push them around), and move the printhead around while turning. This doesn't effect the prints at all (at least as long as they can move freely).

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Brian, On checking my threaded rods move but not that much. My smooth rods do not move.

What have you done to get the ABS to stick? There are lots of threads on this. Use a brim, use Aquanet hairspray, Heated bed at 100C for first layer, then 95C. Avoid too cold an environment and drafts for the first layers. 0.35mm first layer, proper Z height...

7. Brian-UK

Brian-UK New Member

Hi I have kapton tape on my bed and I have tried hairspray but after some reading I discovered the brand I purchased was non stick :D so I have ordered some acetone to make some abs juice. I have also ordered a replacement mosfet and polyfuse as I have noticed by bed cuts out so I'm optimistic that I should have it sorted when that arrives. I will up the bed temp then to 100/95 and increase my first layer. Then I'll print out the Z stabilisers and hopefully it'll all be good.

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated

Brian

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

See this thread for the hairspray ingredients to look for: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/hairspray-survey.1532/ . In the US Aquanet Extra Hold Professional in the purple can has them. If you do end up using hairspray I suggest using a cardboard mask to avoid getting overspray all over the rest of the printer. I use a shirt box cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.