1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

X & Z Axis slipping during print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chas, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chas

Chas Member

Hey guys-

I noticed during prints my printer seems to be slipping on the X and Z axis. I will hear a loud grinding noise when it slips on X and when it slips on z it seems to just be dropping down and cutting across layers that have already been printed.

I checked the nuts under the Z axis controller and everything seems to be in place. I also noticed when the X slips, when i click the X home button its suddenly short by a bit. Any thoughts on how I can correct all this?

I've attached a photo of a few prints that I've had this issue on. The octopus was going pretty decent until right above his eyes the Z dropped for some reason. On the name plates you can see where the mess was getting pushed around from both the X and Z slip.

[​IMG]

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

First off I would make a guess that the belts may be too loose but you mentioned something about the homing that concerns me you said that after you here the X grind like it is slipping when you home it it stops short that does not make sense as the what is happening is this.

When the printer knows where it is (homed) it can print well but if something happens like a slip it no longer knows where it is so in that case you home it what happens it this is says OK I do not know where I am at so I am going to move in a single direction toward zero since I know what direction it is and I will continue to move until I hit the end stop so it should never stop short.

Now the Y can stop short because the rails underneath have built in stop points but can be moved past them but it most be done by hand and this can easily occurs if the Y belt slips but not on X.

3. Chas

Chas Member

The belts seem tight, they are making a twang when i pluck them. I'm thinking that i might have accidently sprayed some of the rods with hairspray and it lessened the lubrication. I'm attempting to relube right now and see if that helps. I also found a tiny piece of melted filament on one of the z rods too.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

i would not worry about that unless you got them dripping wet with hairspray i don't even cover mine and they work great you may have s loose set screw on the pullies that could be getting some slippage just make sure the twang is not too much you can make teh belts too tight and they themselves cause the motor to slip

5. Chas

Chas Member

Which bolts?

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

you mean set screws? if so they are teh small ones that fix the pully to the shaft of the motor if they are loose or missing the pulley could turn freely as well. The X is easy to check the Y is under the bed and a bit more difficult to get to

7. Chas

Chas Member

Yeah thats what I meant :p Cool, I'll take a look at them. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.