1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis Binding

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by LeanJeff, Dec 6, 2013.

1. LeanJeff

LeanJeff New Member

Hey, Robo3D Guys,

My new Robo3D arrived a few days ago. Have finally figured out alignment. Had some problems with hex nuts backing out of the Z-axis brackets, but seem to have it figured out. Your YouTube video helped a little to identify the problem. Please consider posting another that describes how to address the issue.

My current problem is running first samples. I am having a problem with the Y-axis binding up. Tried running four jobs and they all failed early. I only get a few layers into the build, and can hear the stepper grind and stutter. The model features get laid down offset in the Y-axis only. No prob with X-axis.

I can manually slide the print head assembly in the Y-axis and it feels okay for a few cycles of back and forth travel, but then I can feel it seize hard. The belt roller on the left, opposite the Y-axis stepper, appears to be rotating freely. When the print head does stop during manual pushing cycles, pushing on the corners of the print head don't seem to release it, so I am guessing it is not that the linear bearing guide rods are misaligned or cocked. Could it be the Y stepper itself?

By the way, is it normal for the axle grease on the linear bearing guides to turn black after less than 15 minutes of total run time? I noticed that all the linear rods had a nice coat of grease on them. The Z-axis ones are still clear/white/pristine. The front Y-axis rod is darkened a bit, but the back one is very black, and the buildup on the bearing wipers and end of Y-axis travel is significant.

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

Jeff

2. LeanJeff

LeanJeff New Member

Hello? Anyone there?