1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis Causing Bed Shake; Ruining Prints, Making Kittens Cry.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ahmed Jaber, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Hey, all. I'm having a pretty big problem with my RoBo. I removed the birch to re-solder a broken thermistor and install some bed-leveling upgrades (and study everything to get a better understanding of this newfangled contraption), and since then the print bed has started shaking a lot every time there is movement along the Y-axis.

To test its severity compared to movement along other axes, I loaded up a seismometer app and taped my phone to the print bed both during a print and while controlling the printer manually. While the X and Z axes caused negligible amounts of shake, the Y-axis caused very prominent spikes on the graph, the effect increasing as the bed traveled farther from the center. Furthermore, it takes a couple of seconds for the bed to settle after it starts shaking.

The effects of shake have ruined every single print I've attempted since it began. Because there is so much variation in spacing between the bed and the extruder during shake, perimeter layers are not sticking together and infill becomes a stringy mess, causing what prints do survive past the first couple of layers to be very brittle. Any feature smaller than a few millimeters will not stick to anything at all.

I've tried removing (separately) the modifications I've made to the print bed (thick springs around the screws that attach the birch to the drawer slide, Cambo3D's printed bed corners, 1/8" borosilicate glass, and the thermistor) to see if they are inadvertently inducing shake, but nothing had any effect. At this point, I am thinking that tension from those springs I installed may have bent the drawer slide.

Does anyone have suggestions on what can be done to fix my printer?

2. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Side-question: does anyone know where I can get replacements for the nuts connecting the birch to the slide? I lost one of them and nothing at Home Depot can fit in that tiny slot.

3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Something has happened to the rails more then likley, If you move the rails back and forth does it feel smooth? Do they look bent?

4. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

They don't look particularly bent, but I do kind of want to say that movement isn't as smooth as it used to be (though that could be psychological since I didn't check until I was troubleshooting). Also, the upper rail is kind of "floating" on the lower rail. Not sure if it's supposed to be doing that, but gravity may have some objections. I haven't mustered the courage to take the slide apart to check (I'm really bad at reassembly).

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

do the springs have any lateral support side to side unless they are encased in something that is a problem that does occur with that. This is a mod Icam up wit similar to cambo except mine are encased.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125626

what di you do with standoff that were there
    My mod replaces them entirely but if you removed and replaced them springs that is your problem

What bed do you have my mod only works with the original birch bed and the kapton heater and then glass boro or otherwise

or

the brand new bed they just started shipping which is boroglass with a nichrome heating element fixed to the bottom
    without lateral support I can easily see the bed shaking when every y movement is made.

6. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

The springs I'm using are really thick, and it takes a lot to get them to compress, let alone bend laterally. But I removed them and put the standoffs back on while troubleshooting and there was still a lot of shake.

7. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

I'm using the original birch and heater with a plate of boro glass sitting on top.

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok well when you move the board manually on the sliders does it feel smooth

9. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

It's giving more resistance than it used to, but I can't feel any bumps. I wish I could give more technical answers, but a lot of this if outside of my sphere.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

is there a way you could make a short video on your phone or something and then upload it here
    I am just trying to figure out what is causing the shaking is it motor induced; caused by the rails; etc.

11. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Sure. What part of the printer should I be recording?

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I would say cover what shaking the most and then maybe what you think is the cause if you have an idea sometimes pics or vids can show other people like me something you have not thought about

ana example one person was noticing some slight x slipping and he sent me a pic of his print and in teh background I saw his x axis belt drooping it was so loose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.