1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y Axis Stepper Values 2x

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RobR, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobR

RobR New Member

I am in the process of setting up my printer and trying to print my first object. It seems that while the X and Z axes are set up correctly, the Y axis is not. The bed moves through its full travel (254mm) by the time the [Repetier/Slic3r] software has moved it 109mm. On top of that, the print bed center (Y axis) is not correct either. Believing that the bed is 254mm and the center is at 127mm, the printer hits the physical endstop at a digital reading of 109mm.
    I have tried:
    1. adding in "M215 Y 40.000" to the Custom G-code in Slic3r
    2. Changing the Print Bed size to "109" in Slic3r Printer Settings
    3. moving the Print Center value to "0" in Slic3r Printer Settings
    4. Changing the Y Max value to "109" in Repetier Printer Settings (Printer Area Depth was left at 254mm)

Any ideas on how I might fix this?

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok do not alter any settings at all there is something else going on and we need to find out what it is

Does the stop switch get activated at all and are you homing everything correctly. Describe what you are doing step by step so we can follow what you are doing and see where there is a breakdown.

3. RobR

RobR New Member

Here's my procedure:
    Start up Repetier Host
    Switch Printer ON
    Connect Printer
    "Home All" axes
    Load a file (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:67032)

Also, if I input 10mm movement from each axis:
    X=9.76mm (acceptable at this point)
    Y=20.09mm (NOT acceptable)
    Z=9.57mm (acceptable)

There is no stop switch on that side of the Y axis on that side on my example, I'm not sure if this is by design or wasn't included. This is on the rear of the printer; the front does have one.

I am homing everything at the "Min", which is the front left corner.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok the issue is, based on the movement you measured on the y axis, one of a few things but it has to related to the motor steps

How these motors works is that they get a pulse from the ramps boards that causes them to rotate the main shaft a very small amount and several of these pulses or steps are used to make the motors rotate as they do. This is controlled by the drivers on the ramps boards and a setting in the firmware I forget the variable name but basically it is how many steps or pulses to get the motor to create a certain amount of linear movement along an axis.

So x pulses cause so much rotation on the shaft which is translated via belts or rods to linear movement of the axis
    in your case the the y is way off

this could be because the calculation is wrong in the firmware but should be the same as it should be all loaded from the same source

it could also be cause on the motor side that it is moving the wrong amount per pulse

it could also be the stepper controllers as they are the devices that actually send the pulses out and could supplying the incorrect currents

or it could also be that extra gcode was added at print time to make a change and done so incorrectly but this would be more of a user based issue and I do not think it was you

you will probably have to open a technical support ticket on the thread here on the forum to get more assistance from ROBO though

5. RobR

RobR New Member

First of all, I do apologize for not replying earlier, a rowing regatta and college applications have taken priority over my printing.
    I have the Arduino firmware 1.0.5. If I alter the stepper motor values in configuration.h , might this fix the problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.