1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Height Adjustment screw the lowdown

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

There is a fallacy that the using the lever portion of the switch to activate the button is bad, this is TOTALLY false. The micro switch have a lever on them for a reason.

The difference is how much play there is when pushing on the lever and the switch is either activated or not activated.

REMEMBER the button is either on or off there is not gray area.

In fact the best postion is at the end of the lever far away from the button.
    That will allow you to get to the closest position to where the switch is pressed but NOT activated. Tuning at that point could be 1/8 of a full turn between when it activates and when it doesn't.
    so you can adjust it a very FINE degree and get it to activate just when you want it, or it needs to.

Having the screw positioned on top of the button means that a movement as slight as 1/128 of a full turn, as an example, is all that is required between activating and not activating and the likelihood of getting that EXACT point is very very hard if you are too much you you end up activating it early and you can get the bed close enough for good printing too far and you crash the head and throw your nuts.

So being farther from the button and using the lever will allow you to more finely tune the height easily and properly.

Yes when the screw is farther from the button you WILL make contact with the lever BUT WON'T activate the button so you continue adjusting it until you hear the switch activate and you may have to make more full turns to get it close to activating the button but once you are close you will find that the fine adjustment can be made in turns that range from 1/8 to 1/4 and it will be easy to stop right when it activates, when the click is heard.

Being on top of the button means a 1/4 turn movement could go from full activation to full reset and getting it really accurate is much much more difficult.

Having the open side of the lever on the switch forward or backward is not really the issue. I t IS the position of the screw over the button on the switch and usually the original orientation with the open end of the lever pointing forward gave you the best screw/button positioning. With all the changes they have made this may or may not be still accurate.

The main thing is the proximity of the screw to the button on the switch the further the better

The lowdown:
    The further it is away the easier, better and finer adjustments can be made to get the z height accurate. It uses lever action to make micro movements that will activate the switch.

The closer it is the harder, more difficult and coarser the adjustments will be. It uses more direct pressure on the button losing the benefit of the lever action and only allowing coarser adjustment.

BOTH WILL work but one is just much easier to make the fine adjustments and the other uses more luck in hitting the sweet spot.

switch.jpg

Here say 1 full turn on the setup on the left just misses activating the switch another 1/16 turn is too much and the bed stays to low making the nozzle high so prints fail. A 1/32 turn is still to little so the head crashes and the bolts get thrown.

On setup 2 , on the right, it takes 2 full turns to get to the same point and then another 1/8 turn to activate the switch it is much easier to stop right there as it takes a bit more to actually move the lever so you can get the height correct to a much higher degree of accuracy.

ALSO remember that the lever on the switch can be bent to allow for better positioning

I hope this resolves this issue as to which is better way to do it.

Neither is better one is just easier to get exactly right!!!!

2 people like this.
  2. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

I was having issues with this when I first added my E3D hotend. The screw was not long enough / the switch was mounted too low so in the meantime I had to have my screw directly above the button and I experienced exactly what you are talking about. Once I raised the switch up a bit it made all the difference in the world as far as fine adjustments go.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.