1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Extruder Alignment and Software Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mandinga, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Mandinga

Mandinga New Member

Hello Everyone,

Ive been having some back and forth with support over my printer deciding not to deposit material on one particular corner of my print bed. tried all the aligning techniques and it turns out that adjusting the Z offset helped solve this. Granted this was in matter control.

After updating my printers firmware and now moving to Cura, Where can I find the advanced controls like those found in Matter Control> Additionally how to I initiate a print from the SD card on the printer so I can let it print without a computer?

My firs tprint In cura litterally had the same issue as in matter control and has now stopped mid print for no reason. I can see any log or anything as to whats happening. Do I just have a $900 paperweight on my hands?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Free software for the $900 printer :)

Not all of it is bad, but all of it is different.
    Does it work correctly back in mattercontrol?

I always set my Z offset in the startup GCode block. That way regardless of which slicer used it will be in the startup GCode block:

G28 ; home all axes
    M565 Z-1.0 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

3D printing is early days of the technology yet and simple seeming changes can have widespread effects on the printing process. You can't really compare this to using a printer it is more of a mini-manufacturing plant.

As you can see that uses a 1mm offset from the bed (negative -> away from bed) everyone will have a different best number there.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So experiment with that and find out what your best number is for Z offset.

4. Mandinga

Mandinga New Member

It works fine in matter control although I've been having slow downs and I've had to restart my computer some times, my first Cura print stopped randomly in the middle of the print. No reason was given as to why. Does Cura have any of the advanced controls or terminal window like in matter control? How do I start a print from the built in SD card reader on the R1+?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can not help you with Cura and I use MatterControl very seldom as well.

How you start a print from GCode on the SD card is specific to the software, but generally there is a command called "launch print from SD card" or something similar.

Someone with more Cura or MC experience can assist you there.

6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

What version of Cura are you using?

I'm using version 15.xx.xx. There is a new version with something like version 2.x or so. I don't like it.

In version 15.x everything is right there up front where you can see it. Expert modes, and so on.
    When you load a model and you have an SD card inserted you will see a square up at the top showing the SD card. Click on it and you will save our GCode to it.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.