1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved My fans are cooling my hot end.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathan Elverud, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Nathan Elverud

Nathan Elverud New Member

I have an e3d v6 hotend and for some reason it's getting cooled down by my fans. I'm using two fans with this shroud http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:97748. When I leave my fans above 60%, the hot end cools down too much and cura stops the print. I can print successfully when the fan speeds are turned down, but I would like to be able to do 100% again.

I think the problem might be with the heater in my hot end not being strong enough or there is a bad connection in the cable. Or maybe there is a better design for a fan shroud that won't cool the hot end as much.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The E3D comes default with a 25w heater core. If you used that when you installed it go get yourself a 40w core and use that instead.

Here is an example, buy wherever you like:

https://www.amazon.com/Reprap-Ceramic-Cartridge-Heater-Printer/dp/B00J1POHZ4

With a 25w core if any of that air is hitting the heater block or nozzle you will not keep up temperatures.

The hexagon only had a 30w core... not much better

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your last point is dead on too, make sure the fan ducts you are using are designed for that hotend. If not they will be aimed either too high or too low (the hexagon, e3d and e3d volcano all use different fan ducts).

4. Nathan Elverud

I'll definitely look into buying that 40w core. I think the core is the problem because I had been using the fans a 100% without problems and the fan shrouds were designed for e3d v6.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You didn't link fan shrouds ?

6. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

7. Nathan Elverud

My 40w heat core came today, but I cannot remove the old one. Plastic is covering the entire bottom of the hot end and I've scrapped most of it off around the screw. I think plastic may have gotten into the threading somehow. Is there any easier way I could remove the screw. The thermistor is stuck too, but I ordered a spare with the heater core so it's not too important that the thermistor and heater core survive. I've heard of people baking their hotends or soaking them in acetone. Would either of those help me?

I'm going to take it to school to see if my shop teacher can help me. The hex key I have is not very good so hopefully there is one small enough there that would work better. I'll update whether or not I can get it out tomorrow.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I made the mistake once of not assembling the hotend correctly and it leaked from the heatbreak above the heater block, all over the heater block... What I did to recover it was heat it in a convection oven for 15 minutes at 450 F and then took it out (with tools!) and removed as much plastic as I could and then repeated that step until I could actually get the bolts/nuts out and off. Once I had it disassembled I heated it to completely clear the heater block of debris. Took a few hours.

9. Nathan Elverud

I stripped the screw so badly that even if it were cleaned like that, it won't turn. I'm just going to buy only the metal part since I already have a thermistor and heater core. I'll definitely put a sock on this one.