1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved How to Reaasemble Extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ravitch, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Ravitch

Ravitch New Member

Hiya All,

I had to take apart the hobbed bolt portion of the extruder to get at a jam, and stupidly didn't pay attention to where the washers and bearings go in the extruder assembly. It seems self explanatory on the inside of the extruder, but not sure how the two bearings and the washer need to be lined up on the outside. I'm obviously doing something wrong because my extruder is now pitching a fit. Can anyone describe the correct hobbed bolt reassembly or have a link to a schematic?

Thanks a zillion!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Ravitch

Ravitch New Member

Thanks for the reply Mark. I actually saw that link, but my extruder on the R1 Plus came assembled stock different from that. My hobbed bolt didn't start through the large gear, but the opposite side of the extruder. My large gear doesn't have that standoff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can't help you then.
    I was not aware that they were different.
    (actually mine just has a washer in place of the standoff)

However, regardless of which way the bolt goes through the gears it will end up working the same.
    As long as the hobbed section ends up in the right place you are good.

Maybe @Geof has some pics from the R1+

#4 mark tomlinson, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you share a photo of what you mean? Sounds like the hobbled bolt was in there backwards. On my R1+ stock set up (from left to right).

bolt head, washer, bearing, hobbled section of bolt, bearing, washer, wades gear large, nut.

I unfortunantly dont have any pictures of how it was but can take one of how it is?

6. Ravitch

Ravitch New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now I'm really confused, bahahaha. In your setup you have two bearings, but mine has three, and I only have one washer. Also, my hobbed bolt has to start off with hobbed bolt head then bearing, as if I put a washer in between the hobbed portion doesn't line up.

Attached are pictures from the back Best I can think to assemble. Looking from the front, left to right, I have hobbed bolt head, bearing, hobbed portion, bearing, bearing, washer, large gear, nut. I've tried putting the washer between the final two bearings also but had the same result, lots of grinding and it won't retract right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

how tight is the nut? It really just needs to sit there. Your set up looks fine. There is some give and take to get the teeth lined up with the filament path for sure.

mark tomlinson likes this.