1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved First/bottom layer is not solid

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by person4u, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. person4u

person4u New Member

The first/bottom layer of my print is not solid. All of my setting are on default and printing with mattercontrol 1.3. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this? 20150801_123522.png

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

add more layers top/bottom for starters. The defaults are like 3 (and with a 0.2 height -> 0.6mm).
    I like at least a millimeter.

person4u likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Also looks like your Z offset might be just a bit too high. Try tuning that in a bit (in small increments)..

person4u likes this.
  4. person4u

person4u New Member

After a few prints I have it nailed down. Thank you :p

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

How were you able to resolve the bottom layer issue? I've tried adjusting the offset from the control tab and also tried thicker bottom layer, but the skirt and first layer always look like your cube in the above photo.

6. person4u

person4u New Member

It was a long time ago I had the issue but like Mark suggested I am pretty sure I changed the Z offset to be closer to the bed. That causes the filament press together better. Also since I noticed you are a new member and this troubleshooting guide from simplify3D is really awsome. Check it out if you haven't already. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

7. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Yes, I did read that article a couple of days ago and it makes sense. So when you changed your Z offset, did you use the macro buttons on the control page or was it somewhere else? Sorry to ask dumb questions, but I'm still learning!

8. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Yay, I figured it out. Don't use the macro buttons for the Z offset, duh. I set Z offset to 0.4mm and that seems to have made a huge difference! Thanks guys!!!

9. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

Actually allot of my prints look like that too. The tops of prints end up coming out looking like that, not fully solid and water tight etc.. Is this situation fixed by adding more layers in the "outer surface" section of MatterControl where you can adjust the top and bottom layers? I usually print between 1mm and 3mm layers but always get that top not solid issue if printed @ 1mm for my top and bottom layers

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a insanely old thread. Please start a new thread with pictures of your defects, what printer, slicer, and settings and we can all help out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.