1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print not centered in skirt

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gripp, May 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gripp

Gripp Member

Tonight I tried to print a bunch of objects on the bed. For some reason cura needs to put a skirt around every piece but they all turned out nice for the most part. I walked out of the room and came back to the first part printing not centered to the skirt. Everything looks fine but all the pieces are just shifted south west of the center of their skirts. That never happened in the handful of other prints I've done so far.

Also I have the R1+ and on the right side threaded access bar, there is an orange plastic thing clipped to it. I notice that when my printer head moves over there, it cant get the whole way across as hot end quick release bar keeps hitting it.

1 last thing, when my bed slides forward during the leveling process it seems to try and move too far forward and makes a grinding sound "brrrrrrr". I just got this thing on Monday as a referb. Everything seems to be ok other than the stuff I mentioned above. Most of my other issues are just me figuring out settings. I've been busy at work this week so I haven't had much time to experiment.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

While we can help you sort this if you want, you do have a warranty on the refurbished ones and you should make sure that they sort out the issues.

Just follow up if you want to do it yourself :)

3. Gripp

Gripp Member

Yeah, I guess I should contact customer service. I posted on here in case they were common issue where I just didn't set something up right or didn't think to adjust.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Common? Eh, often problems happen due to shipping or poor QA.
    No you did not set something up wrong :)

Again, we can certainly help you sort out what is the problem, but you deserve a working printer out of the box.
    The orange plastic part may be a shipping block added to keep things in place, probably can just be removed. \
    The centering issue could be belt skip.
    The grinding noise is something obstructing the bed travel. You can lift the bed plate and look underneath (it is only held down by magnets) and make sure none of the cables are in the way.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

IIRC, the only orange plastic pieces are for holding things in place during shipping and are supposed to be removed. Do everything Mark said, but I'd start with simply removing the plastic piece because it's not supposed to be there and something might be binding on it.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Gripp

Gripp Member

Thanks for the replies. I've been really busy at work so I'm late getting back. I did email support and they suggest some stuff to look into. It turns out that the bed cable was kinking under the bed and causing the bed to not be able to move forward all the way. That was super easy to fix. I did remove the orange things from the supports. I also got an LCD screen attached.

The issue I've been having now is warping. It will seems like the skirt and first layer go down fine, but at some point, a corner will peal up and distort that edge. I've been using hairspray, but I don't think it's extra hold. I'm going to try glue tonight. I'm printing PLA at 205c/55c and a speed of 60mm/s. I've printed at 50mm/s and had the same results. I gotta say, this printer is more complicated than my mp select mini and this is making me realize how little I know of 3d printing. Another problem I'm hitting is not having time to sit and run through everything I want to tinker with in one sitting. With work being busy and a baby, time has been tight lately.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Start a new thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.