1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer axis slipping during print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Carter, May 22, 2017.

1. David Carter

David Carter Member

I managed to get it to work with a little creative jiggling, but now I have other problems and I'm wondering if they can be related.

If looks like my X-Y controls are messed up. The shift is obvious, but the surface itself is more stucco than smooth. The part should not be messed up like this.

Does it ever get any easier? The frequency of major repairs on this thing seems to be increasing exponentially. I've had projects depending on this and not one has been successful because the blasted thing just won't work when I need it. This is not normal wear and tear.

IMG_1963.JPG

2. David Carter

David Carter Member

I know it's not thermistor related. I was wondering if it was wiring related, which is my root problem with the thermistor.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That looks like (if I am seeing the orientation correctly) a skip/slip on the Y axis?

Make sure the Y belt is not loose. While under there check the drive cog on the stepper shaft to make sure you can not manually move it (i.e. the set screw is not loose) The set screw issue is the most evil since sometimes they are tight to start with, but they are not on the flat part of the shaft... you can see where that will eventually cause problems :)

#3 mark tomlinson, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is possible (although much less likely) that the stepper driver for the Y axis (still assuming that is Y until you confirm) is weak or out of tune.

Geof likes this.
  5. David Carter

David Carter Member

I'm taking a small break out of frustration, but I'll look at it tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. David Carter

David Carter Member

It appears the bolts on the tension pulleys for the Y stepper belt had worked loose. Doing a test print now but it looks good. Thanks for the help

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.