1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered ABS HELP....Again.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jesse Koering, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

Hello All!
    Long time no talk, I have been taking a break from printing recently but now coming back with more filament and ideas!
    Now for the problem.. While printing a 13 hr print last night, somewhere between hr 4-7 my print turned into a Dr Sue's painting. I was using ABS with 255 Extrude temp, 80 bed temp, 100% fill. to me it looks like it slid off of the bed or something? I will attach pics, I use Aussie Mega hair spray that works great with all my PLA builds. but i always seem to have a problem with ABS..
    Any ideas?
    Jesse

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

So I have am still very novice with 3d printing, as I am a diesel tech (not very bright put nicely). Once made of bought I would simply put this on the bed before a print? would it mess up with the self calibration? dose the bed temp need to be changed?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes
    No
    No

:)

You just want a thin coating for the wolfbite (almost invisible) and even the ABS juice is just a thin layer.

Jesse Koering likes this.
  5. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

BEAUTIFUL!! :):):)
    I am very thankful for you and this community, as there seems to be no shops out herein Roseville!
    Now one last question. would there be any benefit to changing out my extrude tip? I have stock everything on my printer right now and i am looking into printing a better fan shroud for cooling, but the extrude is what i am most unsure about.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The default brass nozzle is 0.4mm and works best at the 0.2 layer height most slicers default to.
    The down side is it is brass.

Eventually it will wear and the hole will get larger and the prints get crappy since it is over extruding.

A hardened steel nozzle will not wear nearly as much and is a decent replacement at some point.

If you change to a smaller size nozzle (say 0.2) you can print higher details better (but slower since your print speed will need to be cut in half as well as your layer height) If you change to a larger bore (say 0.6) you can print faster with a small amount of fine detail lost (but you may have never even needed that detail

Jesse Koering and Geof like this.
  7. Jesse Koering

Jesse Koering New Member

thank you very much for all the help!!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.