1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Z axis issue - only goes up (sort of)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JostenKax, Jun 8, 2017.

1. JostenKax

JostenKax New Member

Hello everyone. I recently got my Robo R1+ and it has been printing great. However, 3 nights ago I had started it printing and came back by a couple minutes later and there was a stringy mess around the print head. I hit cancel on Matter Control and in my panic I hit the Z+ button too many times. The assembly went all the way up, I heard some ratchet-y noise and it stopped.

After that it would not go down. If I hit Z- it either did nothing or actually went up a fraction. Nothing (macros, etc.) works to lower it, except one thing I discovered tonight. If I hit the Z+ button once then hit Z- right after it actually lowers a short bit. After that repeated pressings do nothing. I saw a thread showing a couple of videos of a guy messing with the Z axis, and a pic of the Z bracket position, but none of that helps.

I am at a loss what to do. I don't think anything stripped out, because it can lower, just in that one way. All of the wires look right and it seems the bracket is correct (I assume both sides should be resting on the little orange buttons above the connections). Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is due to one or both of the Z axis home switches (they are mounted just below the crossbar) being out of position (so that it can't trigger) or being broken (bad switch or bad wire).

Period.

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This happened when you ran it past Z max undoubtedly. You need to reposition them correctly otherwise they will not work.
    With the nozzle off the bed they should be up against the cross bar and the little button should be pressed.

Geof likes this.
  4. JostenKax

JostenKax New Member

Hi Mark, thank you for your replies. I attached a pic of one side. I believe the Z switch is the two leads in front, yes? It seems, based on other pics on the forum the bracket is sitting too high on the nut. Does that look off to you as well? It's high like that on the other side too.

Attached Files:

5. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Nope that looks fine, is the button being pushed on both sides? Is the carriage still all the way at the top? If so screw the threads manually to lower the carriage.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Baird Bankovic

Baird Bankovic New Member

Try lifting the Call carrage above the nuts that lift the Call carrage on the Z lead screws so that the nuts can spin freely. And then, manually thread the nuts back on the lead screws. Once you have them on the lead screws, use the Z- command the bring them all the way down, and be sure to take them all the way down till there is no room to take them down further (oh btw, u will need to disconnect the two cables the are connected to the limiter switches to do this process). And then, manually turn each nut about 10 revolutions so that you can bring the X carrage back down and it should work.