1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Print Quality Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Alex B, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Alex B

Alex B New Member

We got the R1+ a few months ago and when we first set it up everything seemed to work great. Not too long later though we had an issue with a piece of filament getting stuck in the hot-end. Just recently we got around to removing the filament and trying to print again, but we've been having some issues with our print quality (See pictures below). All the issues seem to be on the bottom side of the print, the top sides look much better.

Info:
    Filament: 1.75mm PLA
    Extruding Temp: 210 C
    Bed Temp: 50 C

No modifications to the printer, everything is as it came in the box. Been looking at seasoning the Hot-end and setting up an oiler, but havn't gotten around to it just yet. Could our issues be related to this?

Thanks for any help you can give us! We're still pretty new at this and are quite stuck at this point

image3.JPG image1.JPG image2.JPG

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Was that printed on a raft or something? The bottom layer looks like it's printed too high and not stuck to the bed. For the rest the overhang on that bottom section may be too big to print without support.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Indeed the first layer height is incorrect. You'll need to adjust that. The overhangs @Kilrah mentioned may be suffering from to hot or the bad "foundation" of that first layer.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Looks like a classic "Z Offset too high" issue :)
    Adjust that (M565 command in the startup GCode block or however you do that in your software).

Geof likes this.
  5. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

For the overhang, decrease temp and make sure your slicer is doing perimeters inside-out

6. Alex B

Alex B New Member

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Yes Kilrah, it was printed on a raft. In the prints I've done overnight I no longer printed with a raft.

The issue definitely seems to be with the overhangs sticking. I've decreased the hot-end temp to 195 (was at 210 on the original prints), and I've decreased the layer thickness to half what I was printing before. I also increased the minimum time per layer to try and give the plastic time to cool as its printing in hopes this would help as well.

All together, I've had some success. The print definitely looks better than before, but Its still not where I need it to be. I attached a picture of my most recent print below.

I'm using MatterControl as my slicer, and I have the "Generate Support Material" option checked in the settings, but it doesn't seem to actually be making any support material. I'm sure it's some sort of novice mistake, but I can't seem to figure it out.

image1 (1).JPG image2 (1).JPG image3 (1).JPG

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

actually, if you lower the layer height you also need to slow down :) Make sure you dropped the print speed too.

Geof likes this.