1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Build platform on my R1 stopped heating.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gomo2017, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Gomo2017

Gomo2017 New Member

I have been building ABS parts very nicely for three months and have just now switched to PLA. On my third PLA part the print bed stopped heating all together. It had finished a part and so I uploaded another print file but it just sits there waiting for the bed to heat. I tried to preheat but it still won't work. I even changed to another computer to eliminate the possibility that the program may be flawed. Does any one know how to fix it?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

First guess would be a ramps failure on the q3 mosfet. Remove the bottom cover and pull the green plug off the ramps board, is it burnt ? Typically it's a replacement ramps board needed

3. Gomo2017

Gomo2017 New Member

I looked at the green plug and it has no sign of being burnt, also no other components look burnt. Not ruling that possibility out, thanks for the advice.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So if not a connector failure it's likely a failure at q3 mosfet (replace the ramps). You can verify by checking you have 12vdc on the heatbed circuit input

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

what temp does your bed show on power up?

6. Gomo2017

Gomo2017 New Member

The heat bed circuit input measures 12.15 Vdc and the starting temperature is 26.4, the same as the nozzle temperature.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Q3 failure on the ramps board.

edit: replacement ramps is needed.

8. Gomo2017

Gomo2017 New Member

OK thanks, I will look into getting one. Although this printer is still under warranty I don't think I should paying for it. I've only owned it for 3 months.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

agreed. If you bought it new call them and request a new board.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So call them up and request a replacement (I think they have a replacement part request form on their web site too).

If you do decide to get one they are about $15 US on amazon (although it is smarter to just spend $40 and get the kit that has all of the electronics and an LCD).

Geof likes this.
  11. Jacob B.

Jacob B. New Member

Had this just happen last week w. my Robo R1 - the positive wire had been pulled-ever-so-slightly out of the heater, just slightly enough that you couldn't see it, but it was no longer connected. I simply re-soldered it and all was well - you might want to check that before ordering a new part (just give the wire a gentle tug)

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure with how cheap heaters are that I would bother trying to repair them, much safer to replace it than to try to fix them :D