1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura time estimate

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sparda, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Sparda

Sparda New Member

I have been notice something strange, when i slice with cura it will say like 13 hours but when i look at it on the printer and it says it will take 300 hours, and i did wait for an hour, and it still displays the 300 hour estimate, i know its an estimate but its off by like a huge margin. If anyone could help me understand this it would be great, thanks.

2. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

I don't think the printer looks ahead to see what else it needs to do, so the estimate is probably only based on what it's printed so far. So if your model is a lot slower on the bottom layers (e.g. if you're printing a large raft), the estimate might be way off.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Deciding how to estimate print time is part science, part hand-waving and magic.
    There are a lot of things to consider (not just basic print speed, but acceleration/deceleration for each change in direction for the print head) and most programs/software that estimate this use a formula of their own making to get a 'guesstimate' and some will modify this as the print progresses. There would be a pile of calculus involved in a real answer/number ... Choice of toolpaths makes a huge difference so each slicer would still have different numbers.

Understand that is is at best an estimate and at worst a S.W.A.G.