1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Filament chewed off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Khurram Ali, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

I am using ABS. Have the first version of Robo 3d. I have not printed for over a year. Just started to print something this week. It is a pretty large print. After about 30 minutes to an hour in, the filament stops extruding and the motor is still running with heat temperatures still constant.

When I open up the 2 screw to pull of the filament, the filament is chewed up as shown in the image.

I have seasoned it a few times already and have been trying for 5-6 times and still stops after 30 minutes
    Have changed my spool to make sure my material isnt bad but still not luck

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No mention of extrusion temperatures, but with ABS clogging is not going to be helped by seasoning (that really only helps PLA).
    Usually with ABS it is a filament issue (too cold extrusion or perhaps the filament is out of spec and too large in sections).

You can try slowing down the print speed and see if that helps, if it does then temperature becomes more of a suspect.

Geof likes this.
  3. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

Extruder temperature: 230
    Bed temperature: 80

If you think temperatures above are not the issue then I can try another filament as well as slowing down the speed

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

ABS (for my printers) was anywhere from 230-250 (although normally closer to 240). However temperatures are extremely environment sensitive. You need to experiment. This is why they list a range of temperatures for any type of filament :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The bed temperature only matters for adhesion so if it is sticking to the bed then that is hot enough.

6. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I wonder if that filament has been sitting there outside of its hermetically-sealed package without desiccant for over a year. Try a fresh roll?