1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by James Harry, Jan 15, 2018.

1. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

Hey guys,

My R1 of about 3 years vintage is starting to throw this. Just started intermittently, but now is more consistent.

Upgraded with E3D years ago, and a stud thermistor replaced the worn out E3D thermistor, about a year ago.

Heats up bed fine, hotend does fine to a point, and then starts dropping off/struggling. So I'm thinking either the thermistor has gone bad or intermittent, or perhaps the power supply is having troubles, although the latter seems less likely. I suppose the heater core could be going bad, but I'm leaning towards the thermistor.

This happened over the weekend, although I was able to do two 10-hour prints that had no trouble once they were running.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jim

[​IMG]newplot by Jim H, on Flickr

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Could be the heater core itself going ... they are really cheap and I'd suggest the 40w variety over the 25w ones that E3D uses by default. Normally I'd start by suspecting an intermittent on the thermistor, but the metalstud ones are usually really solid. Frankly given the work involved (pretty much the same effort to replace either of them) and the cost of the parts, I would just swap them both. 40w (12v) ceramic heater cores on Amazon for ... not much.

3. James Harry

Thanks, Mark. I saw one of the other threads where you mentioned the 40w core, so I will probably go ahead and replace both.

Oh, and I finally bit the bullet and ditched the upper casing. I wish I had done it sooner... so much easier to get to everything. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. James Harry

Interesting... after another try. The two graphs are from the same time period, but I believe the one has been averaged down and smoothed. The one of the right shows greater detail at time of warm-up and it appears to me the thermistor isn't properly registering a few points. Of course, I could be reading it all incorrectly. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. James Harry

I went home and took a look at the printer. Sure enough, the thermistor was wiggly loose (technical term) within the stud. Replacements should be here tomorrow. :)

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. James Harry

40W heater cartridge and new thermistor installed, and both work correctly. Updated the thermistor type and PID settings for the cartridge, and uploaded to the printer.

Now the printer will home XY and Z correctly, but then goes up and thinks Z 0 is some number of mm above the bed. When I try to initiate a mesh leveling, it never goes below that point.

I feel like I should know what is causing it, but so far, I'm drawing a blank....

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Since you are using MESH you probably need to sanity check that the rest of the CONFIGURATION.H is right for your model printer. There is an entire thread on that version of MARLIN (it can't be the stock version), I am not using it so may not be the best resource.

9. James Harry

Turns out I was trying to load a slightly newer firmware. Te one I had been using was the MESH 3-15 files from @WheresWaldo . This seems to be working correctly, so I can get it going again while I look at the latest and greatest versions.

BTW, that 40W cartridge heats crazy fast. Just wish the bed would too...

Thanks again, @mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson likes this.