1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved replacing z-axis stepper

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by eric tobin, Feb 2, 2018.

1. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

ok, one of my z axis steppers quit on my robo r1+. got it out, took it apart to try and remove shaft. know I I know I need connectors to attach the rod to the new motor. can I press off the gears on the shaft or do I need to order new shafts also?

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

you can certainly try. Being an integrated lead screw most people just replace with another integrated leadscrew or buy the same size rods, couplers and nema 17s and convert both to the "old way"

3. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

are they only available from robo, or are there other suppliers

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is unclear if they are even available from Robo, you will need to reach out to them and see.
    If not you will need to replace both with new ones and modify the firmware for the new thread-size. @WheresWaldo has a thread on that (the replacement with non-Robo leadscrews)

5. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

will I need to a new ramps board? are there any special leadscrews I should get? also how do I find that thread.

#5 eric tobin, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

thanks, I have used the search button, but have not had a lot of luck with it. thank you for the help. if I do this mod will I have to get a new ramps board? make changes to firmware? I am obviously a rookie trying to learn thanks again

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the forum search is buttocks until you get used to it and even then it barely works.

No. You just plug the new leadscrew steppers into the same driver cards that the stepper motors were before. You COULD use a new RAMPS, but there is no need to.

Yes, but I think he details what you need to do with the firmware in that thread. If not, let @WheresWaldo know :)

Good luck. Learning this stuff can be fun ... don't let it slow you down, we can help.

9. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

I do appreciate all the help you guys give me. This is one of the best things I have learned to do, and I don't plan on giving up on it yet. again thank you to all that have helped me