1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How hot ambient temperature in a room/closet until failure(s)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Eric Viglotti, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Hello,

I have an R1+ and an R2 and both of them are just not quiet enough to have in a room (much less a kitchen or bedroom like Robo advertises :). So I have them both in a small closet under the stairs. I put a few inches of insulation foam on the door and now it is really very quiet and works well and is out of the way.

However, it is getting really warm in that closet. When I just have the R2 running with standard PLA, it gets to be around 87 degrees in the closet. If I run the R2 and then the R1+ with PETG type temps (80/240), I think it is getting to be about 95 to almost 100 degrees in there.

Obviously it keeps me nice and toasty on a cool day, but seriously, what risks does this have either from a safety perspective or in terms of the printers, is this just too warm in there to realistically have reliable results? I already had a few times where the R2 started printing in midair with nothing extruding which I read somewhere might be a sign of overheating.

Any thoughts on whether this is too hot and if there are any reasonable ways to cool things down other than some vent system out of the closet? I would bet a simple little fan clipped to a printer isn't really going to appreciably cool down the temperature of air in the closet.

Thanks.

2. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Sounds like a good place for printing ABS

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The real issue is electronics. They can get too warm and things go South.

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Really want to vent the heat out. When I print ABS on an open machine I stick the whole machine in a closet like your describing- but its really not great for the machine.

5. DavidR

DavidR Member

Unfortunately putting a fan in the room will just circulate the heat, a vent is the only way to go. Either that or you put an icebox in there
    and take it out and refill it everytime it melts. Whenever a substance melts or evaporates it absorbs heat from its surroundings (called an endothermic process). This is effectively how modern AC/ Refrigerators work - they circulate a fluid that repeatedly evaporates then recondenses. The part of the loop corresponding to evaporations is cooled off as the heat is transferred to the (now gaseous fluid)--the fluid then releases this heat when it recondenses where the exhaust is.

6. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Or, as I keep telling my friends, adding a fan to a closed room only increases the overall heat in the room. Same problem with sticking your head in the fridge.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

enthalpy of vaporization :)

#7 mark tomlinson, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  8. DavidR

DavidR Member

@mark tomlinson Yessir! (and enthalpy of fusion)--assuming conditions of constant external pressure, which is the case in anything open to the environment.

mark tomlinson likes this.