1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura - Manually added printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PCLIB, Apr 19, 2018.

1. PCLIB

PCLIB New Member

I am connecting a printer that's on a different subnet than the PC running Cura. I am able to connect to the printer but I cannot send a job directly to OctoPrint. That is, I can load OctoPrint from a browser and Cura sees the printer, but I cannot send a print directly to Octo even though it appears to be sending as the progress reaches 100% without any reported error. I would like to make sure I have the settings correct for the 'Manually added printer' dialogue box in Cura, which asks for:

Instance Name:
    IP Address or Hostname:
    Port Number:
    Path:
    Use HTTPs

What should I use for 'Instance Name' and 'Path'?

I believe these fields are populated automatically when the printer is found on the same subnet, but in my case I will need to manually enter these.

Thank you.

2. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I left path blank and just put in my type of printer in the instance name.

Everything worked great for me once I put in the IP address and the API key.

3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

As far as the printer being on a different subnet, I'm not sure if anything particular needs setup differently.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well the only thing I can think of is that the machine where Cura is running has to have visibility on that other subnet (and vice-versa in this situation -- OctoPrint needs to be able to look back). It is not unheard of for one subnet on a different router to have access 'up' and the other one not to have access 'down', but this is probably more Cura specific since it works outside of Cura.