1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Autobed level - Pinda?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CdRsKuLL, Oct 1, 2018.

1. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Morning all,

Just wondering if anyone has swapped out the infrared sensor for auto-leveling to a pinda sensor at all?

pinda.JPG

It should be a direct replacement, you might need to swap the trigger NO / NC (true to false) in the firmware but I'm guessing it will use the same 5v wires. This will only work if you are using the new flexi spring steel bed.

I already have one to try but will need an updated bed first. I wonder if my Prusa bed would fit..

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure you measure the voltage to the sensor (don't assume 5v). The Robo boards are odd in that sometimes they just use VCC (19v for C2 or 24 volts for R2).

Geof and CdRsKuLL like this.
  3. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Will do Mark, thanks for the heads up. I'll put a meter on first before I do anything. I'm actually thinking long term in that I might actually replace the whole board and go for some tmc2130 drivers and also get rid of the endstops. I have some cheap MKS 1.0 Gen L boards floating around somewhere which I guess would do. I would need to alter Marlin but that's not a problem really, just time. Maybe a weekend project.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That would work fine. Just adapt the power to whatever you need. What they have is no more functional than the Arduino/RAMPS combination (and is directly replaceabele with that too) and just lowers the part count :) I am not sure it adds any real value. The Pi does for sure.

5. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

The MKS boards allow you to change the stepper drivers to TMC2130 which are AWESOME.. they offer so much reconfigurability and if you run them in stealthchop mode the printer is nearly silent. I've put them in one of my printers already but just in dumb mode. It's what's in the mk3 Prusa. Sadly Robo have board mounted drivers so are not upgradable.

Have a look at this link, he explains what they are.

This isn't something I'm going to be looking at doing straightaway.. :)

Steve

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The RAMPS 1.4 will allow that as well (totally different style board) however, comma, :) I like the MKS boards better so there is that too.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

For no additional gain and a lower price I'd stick with ramps/arduino...BUT! I likely only say that due the overwhelming amount of them I have kicking around lol.