1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Prints not up to Par

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kevyn/, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Kevyn/

Kevyn/ New Member

Hey everyone,

So I've been having A LOT of problems with my Robo r1+ lately. I used to get great prints but recently I've been getting mediocre to horrible prints which include stinging, cracks or spaces between walls, and just very overall bad prints. I tried to troubleshoot, redownload mattercontrol, use Cura, try new filament (brown filament straight out of the box), and looked all over the web.

Note: I cannot post pictures because they are somehow "to big for the server to upload"

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Did you look here: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/
    It was written by S3d but not specific to that slicer, the tips are universal.

With regard pictures, you have two options, one place them on a picture hosting service, such as imgur.com or reduce their size. To reduce their size here are two suggestions (if you are a Windows user), IrfanView and RIOT

IrfanView is more of a general paint style program, RIOT is for the more advanced user

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Camera phones take really high resolution pictures these day and tend to be large. Not sure where the forum cut-off is on size, but I can't upload a camera pic without resizing it (to 1024x768 for example) or cropping a lot of it.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. Kevyn/

Kevyn/ New Member

Thanks for responding,

Update: I found the problem with my printer. When taking out filament by heating the extruder and pulling it out, I found that I got filament bits stuck in the extruder giving my prints a not so desirable quality. I thought finally I solved my problem so when I was detaching the nozzle from the hexagonal tube annnnd it snapped. :/ I completely forgot to heat it up.

So now I am either forced to buy a new printer (which I'm actually leaning towards) or replace my extruder.
    Thanks, Kevyn

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well replacing the extruder is a lot cheaper :)
    Robo has the hexagon for the R1+ a lot cheaper than most other places and the wiring harness matches up.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want to try to fiddle with the old extruder later you can try using an EZ-out to remove the bit of the nozzle that is left in the heat block. I'd still suggest getting a replacement first and then try to save the old one. Not sure if the ones I linked to are the exact size you need, but they are small metric so maybe close.

8. Kevyn/

Kevyn/ New Member

On the Robo website, the R1+ extruders are sold out. Also, I can't really fix the extruder but I'll try.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can get the Hexagon from Amazon the only difference being that it may not include the quick-disconnects for the heater core and thermistor (but if you want you can swap the heater core and thermistor from the old one to the new one since those are not the problem).

Here is an example: https://smile.amazon.com/RepRapDiscount-Hexagon-Hotend-1-75mm-nozzle/dp/B00W8FL5BS

You can also splice in the disconnects yourself if you are handy or just run the wires directly back to the RAMPS board without the disconnects.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Call them. I don't trust their website. They may well have them.

11. Kevyn/

Kevyn/ New Member

I checked out the links and don't really want to spend $60 + Shipping so I ended up filing a claim with squaretrade because I had a warranty.

I'll update on this.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If filament is just stuck inside the throat you can disassemble the hexagon and clear it all out.
    Still going to require some work since you need to remove it in order to disassemble it.

Good luck.