1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Lights flicker on power up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bd182, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Bd182

Bd182 Member

Yesterday I smelled burned wiring when I turned on the R1+, but that went away and it ran fine. Today when I turned it on, the LEDs flickered on and off, and the fan speed varied, for about 10 seconds. Then it stabilized and has been printing fine. I anticipate some deterioration of the power supply or connectors. Is there anything I should check in advance of a more catastrophic failure?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you really want to dig in trace all of the wires from the hotend all the way back to the RAMPS board inside and underneath the printer.
    It could be from the power supply itself, but I would not tear it apart.

3. Bd182

Bd182 Member

Well that didn't take long. I ran a 4 hour print and shut down. Later today it's dead. So.... I can't see how to pull the power supply to test it. I don't see anything holding it in but the plastic tabs, but it won't budge. Is there a trick to sliding it out?

4. Bd182

Bd182 Member

I unplugged the power connector and confirmed that the power supply is outputting no voltage. The 110 fuse is good. I'll still need to pull the power supply after I get a replacement. Any advice? Or advice on which PS to buy?

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I pried it loose with a crow bar (seriously) it will slide out and get looser eventually.

Geof likes this.
  7. Bd182

Bd182 Member

Got a new power supply from Amazon overnight. Installed and working again. But, the LED lights flicker a little, which suggests there is still an overload condition. Even if I turn off the heated bed, the LEDs flicker just a little, which I don't remember from before.

As for the old power supply, the inrush thermistor blew up. That was probably the burned smell a couple of days ago, and complete failure took another day. A new power supply is not very expensive, but a new thermistor is only $8.

Attached Files: