1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Consistant jams after changing nozzles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Justin Pulsipher, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Justin Pulsipher

Justin Pulsipher New Member

Hi!
    I have a Robo3d R1+. I was hoping to make some more detailed prints, so I got a set of nozzles. I swapped out my factory 0.4mm with a new 0.2mm.
    I updated my print settings in Simplify3D to reflect the new nozzle. With the first 0.2mm nozzle, It made most of a very basic print that is essentially a circle with some raised edges along the top. I tried this print twice. Both times it failed on the raised edges, seemingly as though it stopped extruding. After this, it wouldn't print anymore, so I cleared the jams as best I could. I cleaned the heatsink, the hot end and the nozzle. I could not see through the nozzle like I could when it was new but I couldn't figure out any other way to get more out than I had already done. Still jammed. I tried my second new 0.2mm nozzle and halfed the print speed like I saw advised elsewhere online and it went straight to jamming. I'm really at a loss as to what to try now. The nozzles screwed in without problem, and I tightened it all the way to its base after heating to 235*. I haven't swapped back to my 0.4mm yet. I'm really hoping someone can help me with this.
    Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PLA? Season it.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

And slow down print speed by at least a factor of 0.5 x PS (PS is the original print speed).

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure this is true when you install the nozzle:

heat_block_assembly_correct.png

It should NOT be flush up against the heat block :)

other suggestions still stand :)

5. Justin Pulsipher

@WheresWaldo I already mentioned I cut the speed in half in my OP

@mark tomlinson
    I didn't season the nozzle, but I was using an oiler. I'll try seasoning, but I suspect the gap in your second post may be the issue. How can I check that? I mean, that gap is inside an opaque block of metal after all. :)

I'm still trying to get ALL the pla out of the nozzles. I can't see through the hole yet, but I really don't think I'm going to manage getting much more out. I don't have anything small enough to fit through the opening.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is all in how you assemble it. There is nothing to stop the threading on the nozzle and the threading on the heatbreak from going intot he heater block as far as you care to turn them. So put the heat break into the top to where the threading is just about flush with the top of the heater block and then thread the nozzle in until it meets up with the heat break inside the heater block (which you will know because it will stop threading in). If it is stopping because it is flush up against the heater block then back it out and thread the heat break in a bit further. Try again. You want to have it end up like the graphic.

7. Justin Pulsipher

I've done that over and over again. I think these two new nozzles are just ruined now though I can't get anything to come out of them at all.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, that or clogged really good :)
    You can remove them and bake them clean.

Solid metal so not easy to break unless you try hard.

9. Justin Pulsipher

how do I clean using the bake method? I've tried cleaning using a heat gun and got as much out as I could. But I still can't extrude anything with these nozzles.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Remove the nozzles.
    Put them top-side down on a piece of aluminum foil which is in a pan / bowl safe for the oven
    Set oven to BROIL (500f or close)
    Put them in ...
    10-15 minutes at that temp will do it. I used a small convection oven, but you can use a full-sized one too.
    Once you get them clean, season the heck out of them before running filament back through :)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Brass nozzles are so cheap though that I usually never did that (I did it a couple of times).
    Now I use hardened steel. I still use an oiler on PLA, but it is really not needed.