1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Teflon tape mod

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by bwalker000, Mar 21, 2015.

1. bwalker000

bwalker000 New Member

I've built and attached a spool holder on the top of my printer. A simple one with no extra parts needed:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:188820

It works well and is, I think, much better than the one the printer came with.

That said, I'm not happy with the way the spool jerks as I extrude. The filament is pulled taught and then the spool jumps. This cycle repeats over and over. I fear that it is causing slight variations in feed speed which will degrade print quality.

To smooth the feed rate and reduce tension on the filament I wrapped the bar holding the spool with teflon plumbers tape. The feed is much smoother and I don't think that I'm building the same level of tension. I can't be sure that the print quality is better, but I don't see how it could be worse.

IMG_2204.JPG

Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's pretty clever. Still makes me nervous to put a heavy spool above a glass bed after seeing a few shattered beds. But if it works, it works!

Printed Solid likes this.
  3. Twiztednails

Twiztednails New Member

have the same filament mount pretty sturdy and looks nicer thanks for info was worried about jerking to

4. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member