1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved New to Robo3d Slice issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Norm, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Norm

Norm New Member

In Matter Control I quene up one of my creations in STL from Blender program[​IMG]. In thr 3d view in matter control my characher look OK (See screen Shot 1) However, when I bring up Layer View in 3D. I get missing parts mainly in the stomach and chest areas. (See screen Shot 2)
    What i'm doing wrong ? Robo Pict 1.JPG Robo Pict 2.JPG

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Trying to make buggy mattercontrol work.

I would Suggest posting this in the matterhackers forum (they support mattercontrol) if you really want to use it.

https://www.matterhackers.com/community/forum

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

However, what I think your underlying problem is has to do with a bad STL (a bad 3D model) . It is less easy than you might think to make printable 3D models. You probably have an error. Run the model through Netfabb repair tools (you can download netfabb basic for free).

Then try using something better than MC to deal with it :)

Stephen Capistron likes this.
  4. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

My guess is that your model is only surfaces and not a solid body so it will not slice right.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you don't want to install netfabb, Microsoft hosts the STL repair function on a Azure web cluster. You can upload the STL and it will do the automatic repair. Here is the link:

https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/

6. Norm

Norm New Member

I upload Netfab.azurewebsites.net and did the repair. However when I retured to matters control and try to add it to the library it came up with a window saying "oops? problem can't upload". Now whats happing ? I tried repairing another one with the sdame problem after repairing and dowloading it back . Even changing the name and the same thing. Any advice here or is it just matter control? any advice? Thanks Norm

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Sounds like MatterCoontrol is a problem child. I have never had a model that went through the netfabb fixer that was unreadable. Can you attach the file here?

8. David BOles

David BOles Member

Matter Control was spewing out an error related to uploading? I've had the same problem when multiple solid objects intersect in matter control. Running it through netfabb should fix any problems. Try using the program, make sure you export a .stl.

9. Norm

Norm New Member

10. Norm

Norm New Member

11. Norm

Norm New Member

I try to upload the file and an error came up from the netfabb repaired file. I loss the original file because the file was over written by netfabb. A little information might help here. I created the original file with Daz3d software, then I exported it to a OBJ file. Because Daz3d does not have STL in it exporter. I then imported into BLENDER and export back out in STL. I had no problem bring it into Matter controls as you can see from my first post. However, it didn't slice right. Since I tried Netfabb it appeared to repair it as it went through the process then download the file back to original (My Choice) bad choice because its no good now. Maybe this might give you some insight to what has happen. Question is now? Can I use my Daz3d that I do all my work in to export the only way I know of those BLENDER to convert it to STL.

12. David BOles

David BOles Member

I don't know anything about daz3D but try modeling just a cube, exporting to OBJ, importing into Meshmixer (not blender), exporting as .stl, uploading/ importing to netfabb, repairing, exporting, and finally importing into Matter control. If this doesn't work, something really weird is going on. Again, just try a simple cube, I think there was some really weird problem with your other model.

13. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Was the original file in daz3D a collection of surfaces or a solid body?

14. Norm

Norm New Member

Is Meshmixer a program? I'm not familar with it.

15. Norm

Norm New Member

Is meshmixer a program? I'm not familar with it.

16. Norm

Norm New Member

17. Norm

Norm New Member

You create your model off a Genisis figure modeling it into anything you want or purchase one of the thousad available. look at my post of my 1st post at the two photos part were and some not.

18. David BOles

David BOles Member

Oh, gotcha. Yup, meshmixer is a program, it has some useful features for high level modeling.