1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Heatbed reads 0

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jheikkila, May 5, 2015.

1. Jheikkila

Jheikkila New Member

Hey Guys,

So I had to replace the heating pad for the heat bed, mine had the wires rub long enough that it exposed wires and quit working. I called and got a replacement from ROBO3D and got it all installed. After installation, I powered everything up to test. MatterControl reads 0 for the heating bed and reads room temperature for the extruder. So I switched the extruder and heat bed pins and I then get a reading for the heat bed (under the extruder temp) and still get a reading of 0 for the heat bed temp (now with the extruder plugged in.) Is it possible that the pins for the THERM1 are donezo? Is it possible to test? Is it possible to move the heat bed to the pins for THERM2?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Does sound like a bad RAMPS.

3. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

It sounds like a bad thermistor on the heated bed. You can measure the resistance through the thermistor wires to confirm.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

To me that sounds like the heated bed thermistor is fine.

Granted his post is a little confusing to read :)

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I had a ramps board that wouldn't read the bed temperature. Turns out that one of the pins for the thermistor had a bad solder to the ramps. I reflowed it now it works great

6. Jheikkila

Jheikkila New Member

Hey guys, sorry about the confusing post. It may be a bad solder, but I would think unlikly since it worked with the old bed for 5 months. I would assume that something got shorted out when the wires became exposed.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

8. Jheikkila

Jheikkila New Member

Great! Thank you Mike, I will take a look tonight.

9. Jheikkila

Jheikkila New Member

OK, so I took a look at the back of the RAMPS board, solder points look good, in my opinion. I have posted a picture in case you can see anything. I took resistance readings and found that the thermasistor is reading 121 ohms (id imagine that is good, room temp is about 70F) The therm1 pin set reads 7.3 ohms. Any other thoughts?

Attached Files:

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

But, I repeat myself.
    It is a bit odd it would die working on the bed heater side of things and the two may be related, but if you know the thermistor seems good (and the wiring harness) and that you have it plugged into the RAMPS correctly... what you are left with is a bad RAMPS.

11. Jheikkila

Jheikkila New Member

Ok gents. I adjust the firmware to read from therm2 instead of therm1 for the print bed and now it's working. It is printing now so all should be fine, I will replace the RAMPS board eventually, however right now the only issue I am seeing is that therm1 pin set is not working.

mark tomlinson and Mike Kelly like this.