1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Setting Z-axis offset

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoCalPrinter, Jan 29, 2016.

1. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

I've been reading through previous threads to try to solve this, but i must not be doing something right. After my Printer does the 9-point auto leveling, it just starts the print directly on the glass, too close to allow for extrusion. Apparently I need to add some manual offset value in a code somewhere? What's the purpose of touching the print head on the bed in 9 places if not to determine where the head is in relation to the bed?

I have no previous experience in g-code as the only other printer I've had (da Vinci 1.0) didn't require me to. I just leveled the bed with a piece of paper, imported the model and pressed print. So I've been reading what you guys tell other people about "running the script" or "adding to the gcode" and it's like Greek to me. I've tried changing the z-axis offset in the EEPROM settings. Still nozzle to glass. Tried inputting the codes you guys suggested to others into the Gcode terminal and pressing enter. Still nozzle to glass. Tried clicking on the preset macros, they don't even allow me to select them.

This is very frustrating and seems like something that should be automated in a so-called "plug and play system with self leveling bed". Can somebody explain it like I'm 5, or link me to a step by step guide? Thanks.

Neil Yates likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Somewhere in whatever software you are using to slice/print with there is a section for configuration that determines what (if any) extra statements will be added to the beginning of each and every GCode file generated.
    In there you want to add something to establish a Z offset, Something like this:

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-0.6 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-leve
    l

The 3rd line is the one that establishes the Z offset and will be different for almost all printers.
    You need to experiment. Start with a -0.9 and see what you get on some 1 layer test prints.
    Tweak it until your first layer is correct.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They might call it the startup script... no clue how MatterControl defines this.
    RepetierHost and Simplify3D call it the startup GCode script and you can edit/define it to whatever you want.

4. afat08

afat08 Member

What slicer are you using to generate the G-Code?

It took me first layer after first layer of trial and error to fine tune my first layer and even so, I'm not sure it's perfect now.

It may seem like Greek at first, but if you do some reading up on GCode/MCode, it really is not that difficult to grasp. I'm not calling you dumb, I'm just saying give it a try, it will help you understand a lot more.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This video is in the stickies, if you are new you should read those, they are sticky for a reason.

dlively and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

Thanks guys, I just put the code that Mark wrote into the gcode terminal of matter control before I started the print and it worked perfectly. Thanks again!

Tom Finzel and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Please note that inputting it into the terminal window will not make it permanent, If you turn off your printer and Arduino you will have to input it again. That is why most people would put it in their start up g-code so it executes every time you start a print.

mark tomlinson likes this.