1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved New RepRap LCD display...no image...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Heisenberg, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

Hello, I just purchased a new RepRap LCD display for my R1 and when it is connected and on; the screen lights up, but there is no display. I have saved my (.gcode) to an SD card and inserted it and there is still no display. I have the printer set up to use an SD reader in MatterControl version 1.3 since from what I read they deactivated this feature in version 1.4 until further notice. Is there some setting that I am missing or is it more possible that I have a faulty display? I thought this was a plug-and-play feature, but I can not get it to work. Thanks for any help!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably the contrast is cranked all the way up. There should be a tiny potentiometer that is on unit you can tweak to adjust the contrast. Very common issue.

3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

I have been adjusting the contrast from one max to the other on each test and I have not seen anything come up on the display yet. I am still using the original power distribution board on the new arduino that I purchased...is it possible that there could be a communication issue between the two?

4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

I swear that I see the screen blink a bit when I insert the card so there is something happening, but it is very difficult to see.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is always possible the cables are not correct to the RAMPS board. Some have come with the cables keyed backwards (especially the cheaper kits). Make sure pin 1 goes to pin 1 on each end is all I can suggest.

Heisenberg likes this.
  6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

I have them plugged into the correct spots, I will try swapping them and see if that does anything. I did find some links about adding resistors to the display board on the reprap forum, but I tested a couple of suggestions and have not had any luck with it. I will try a couple more things before I order a new screen to see if that is the case. Thanks!

7. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

Is the firmware file (configuration.h) file set to support the LCD?

Heisenberg likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Good question @James Harry that no one thought to ask. If it is a 20 character x 4 line display, sometimes called a 2004 and the big one is called the XXL smart controller there is no need to edit the firmware as it is supported by default. If it is any version of the Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller it needs to have a few lines changed (the OLED version of the same controller needs a heck of a lot more lines changed).

Heisenberg likes this.
  9. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

Thank you both for the suggestions, I figured that I needed to change more settings. I have the full-graphic smart controller and all that I have done is make sure that using a SD was checked in the matter control settings, I have not changed any of the configuration.h settings yet. Are there directions available for changing the lines of code that need to be adjusted? Thanks again for your help and good catch!

10. James Harry

For the Full Graphic Smart Controller, all you have to do is uncomment the define in Configuration.h. Look for:
    // ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/u8glib
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

I had (for a short period) one of the absolutely worst passive LCD graphics smart controller, but uncommenting that line and recompiling and it worked just fine. :)

Heisenberg likes this.
  11. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

I found the line in the configuration.h file. Do I need to change it to say "#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER" or do I simply delete the entire line after define? Also, I pulled up the arduino software to save the U8glib file, but where exactly do I save it? I do not see a spot for library, just a way to import a library. Thanks for the help and sorry about the delayed response, I have been out of the office.

12. James Harry

Just remove the pound sign at the beginning. Download the U8glib file and unzip it. In the Arduino IDE, you need to import the library. Not at my computer at the moment, but can give you better detail if you have trouble finding it.

Heisenberg likes this.
  13. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

okay, thanks...just wanted to make sure that I did the steps correctly...hopefully I will have an update soon!

14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

It is finally connected and printing off an SD card! Thanks for your help...having my computer free during prints is really going to be a nice upgrade!

15. James Harry

Awesome, glad to help.

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The # sign needs to remain, it is the // that need to go otherwise it doesn't define properly. C++ uses #define as the directive not just define

17. James Harry

Yep, of course you are right. One of several other programming languages jumped in my head while posting.. lol