1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Pricing 3D prints

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Caleb Cangelosi, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Caleb Cangelosi

Could anyone share how they come up with a price to change individuals for printing objects for them? Figuring out the cost of material is easy, but I'm having a difficult time determining what the market price is for the time of the print. Do you charge by weight? I'm in Jackson, MS, where there are very few other 3D printers, so from one perspective I could charge a premium for the low supply. But demand isn't high either, so I can't charge too much. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you just get handed an STL for printing or did you cad/model/design the object and then print it?
    CAD time is expensive, time spent letting the printer do its thing is much less so.
    Materials are pretty cheap. People who can 3D model a printable object are not. :)

So you have to make the call to figure out what the market will bear in your area.

3. Caleb Cangelosi

I'm asking merely about printing the STL. I can't CAD...yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, like I said materials are relatively cheap (and getting cheaper) so that doesn't add a huge amount to the cost. You can afford to be low priced and not go in the hole (so to speak). I'd still make it an hourly charge (to cover for wear and tear on the printer).

5. Caleb Cangelosi

That is helpful - I had been thinking only of a per piece pricing, but the hourly usage cost makes sense in addition to the materials.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just add a mark-up if they want a premium material of some sort (CF or something a lot more).
    And something that takes 20+ hours to print is worth more than something that takes 5 (IMHO)

7. Caleb Cangelosi

Thanks Mark!

8. Caleb Cangelosi

Mark, can you tell me about your 3D printing business? Where are you located? What do you typically make, and for whom? Is it just you or do you have other folks working with you? How many printers do you own, and do you run at one time usually? How often do you use your ROBO as compared to other machines?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So,
    1: Not a business. Been there done that (my own business) twice. This is full on, hard core hobby and side stuff. This is a very (really) hard tech to actually make money in. Locally we have a LOT of competition (tons of fabrication places including huge injection molders). There are a lot of local makerspaces and a very large number of printers in the Florida area (ignoring commercial concerns). Trying to spin up a business around this here would be difficult. Not impossible, but it would be a lot of initial investment (at a minimum a couple dozen machines with at least half of those being higher end units). Even then I would not consider a local only business.
    2. Orlando Florida. Yes, the weather is harsh right now :)
    3. Mostly for our own consumption for various projects although a small percentage has been for other businesses and people (we have done work for a number of local businesses including a theme park who shall remain nameless). All really small scale IMHO.
    4. Me and my son. He does 80% of the modelling and design work, he enjoys that part more :)
    5. 2 Robo's, a home built SLA and a home built DLP. Usually at least one is always running.
    6. 3/4 of the time I will use the Robo and most often the one configured for large format (1.0mm nozzle and a volcano adapter). Just to quickly squeeze out a print for tests. If I need small detail precision then SLA or DLP

#9 mark tomlinson, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Quite honestly I would not use the Robo's (not the current ones at least) in production environment. I did a recent run of almost 1000 models over a week that were all 99% the same (each one varied slightly) and the failure rate was 5-8% and that was often due to the printer just being the printer... false starts or odd hangups mid-print that would not reproduce. Electronics or communication glitches undoubtedly. For me that would be too high to do on an extended basis as an assembly run. However, given the design of these that is probably a good number. I would want something I could reliably hand a job of 1000 units to and expect a 1% or 2% failure at most (and those due to 'out of spec' not complete failures).

11. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I have it worked out to charge by cubic inches and it seems to work pretty well. Most of the stuff I print is 100% infill but I adjust price if printing sparse.

I print mainly for my employer and it would be nice to find other customers but I know it will be hard to charge what I'm charging now. I'm basically in it to make as much as I can before they buy their own printer. Really can't see myself finding multiple customers.

Good luck!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is an emerging market at the low end, but not new at the commercial level.
    Makes it tough to try and compete and you aren't likely to succeed with consumer level gear.

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I had thought of doing a local business also, but the issues for me were marketing and setup. What I did was eventually just set up shop on Shapeways and uploaded my designs to them. Mark up all items above Shapeways cost and let them take care of all production, shipping and customer service. The biggest issue is that you still need to work hard to get the information out beyond their walled garden. It is slow and tedious. Honestly I can deliver a better product to people using a service like Shapeways, i.materialise, Sculpteo, etc. I still use the Robo 100% in the design process, usually to just print either sections of the final product or complete models to verify design details or make sure it actually does what I want it to do.

It is very hard to compete with the big services, and the few extra minutes it takes to set up your own models (or upload someone else's models) to these services more than makes up for the price gouging so often found from single individuals on sites like 3DHubs, etc.

Please note this is just my opinion and all my research was done approximately one year ago (I have had my Shapeways shop open for 11 months). I would not consider individual persons with consumer level printers if I planned on selling any products. Even for my own use, depending on service life, I will usually favor something printed by a service over that of anything I print myself. Of course Robo upgrades and small items I am perfectly fine with the Robo's attainable level of quality.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. Caleb Cangelosi

Thanks for your responses. It's very helpful to see how you're thinking about using your printer (or not using it) for a small business. I've been trying to encourage my 13 year old son to leverage our ownership of a 3d printer in the Jackson, MS, area. But he doesn't know (hopefully YET) how to design his own objects, and neither of us have time to print things for people on a timely basis. Good to hear your experiences.