1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved "Too big to render" - disable rendering while printing in that case?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MakotoKamui, Feb 8, 2016.

1. MakotoKamui

MakotoKamui New Member

So, I just bought my R1+ a bit over a week ago, and I love it, but just ran into an issue where I tried loading in a complex model from Thingiverse of the Imperial Storm Mickey -Disney Desktop Trooper-, which gives the message of it being too big to render in MatterControl. I didn't mind that (it was just slow when rendering the preview and took a long time to slice, no big deal), but noticed that it's still trying to render while printing, slowing the print down significantly. If I minimize the program, the R1+ starts moving much, much faster. So I'm wondering, would it be possible/desirable to disable rendering for 'too big' models while the print is running? It seems like the slow speed is impacting the print quality.

Not a huge issue of course, since minimizing does the trick, just something that may make things easier.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. MakotoKamui

MakotoKamui New Member

Fair enough. Since the software was distributed with my Robo, I was hoping I was missing an obvious option or something and someone here would know. Ah, well.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah this is a community forum, and we as a community do not like MatterControl and wish Robo had never distributed it.

Robo may help you if you call them, but I doubt they have the knowledge to since this is a MC software problem

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Amen.

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

FWIW, the real solution to this is not to print directly from the software. Export to SD card, then let it run dedicated. No need to worry about what your computer is doing. You can use the built in SD reader, buy an LCD display with built in SD, or go the octoprint route.